• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Book Format question

Cathy C

Okay, this question is for all of you book *buyers* out there, (because library-goers won't care).

Our agent is selling another of our paranormal romance titles, and has suggested to us that we look at publishing in trade paperback (the softbound 6x9 size). But we're not sure if that's a good idea. Yes, there are better royalties on a better price, but we're concerned that if we go out of mass paperback, I'm wondering if it will sell in bookshops in other World English countries (UK, Canada, Australia, India). Also, secondary markets like discount stores and groceries might not carry it, since it doesn't fit on the racks as well.

I have always considered selling books sort on the "cardboard hamburger theory" -- sell lots of them for a little price, instead of some of them for a bigger price. So, here are the questions:

1) Is the large softbound format of book common where you are?

2) As a reader, do you look at the FORMAT the book is in on the shelf, and does the price or format influence your buying if it's a new author (or a new series by a familiar author)?

3) If you already like the writer, does the format matter?

Just looking for general opinions to help us decide. Thanks!

Cathy

aww, your trying a questionaire like me. so cute...
ill answer it anyways. (copycat)
1. no i dont see much of them
2. i look sometimes but yes it does affect the way i buy the book
3. not really it doesnt matter, its kind of like if you really are satidfied with a brand of something, then youll by more new products from that brand too.

Cathy,
For what it is worth, I do take the format into consideration when looking at books. I prefer trade-size paperbacks, especially for nonfiction, "serious" literature, and that sort of thing. They tend to be printed on a better quality paper, and also look better on my bookshelves.
In all honesty, I wouldn't expect to see any sort of Romance in trade size. That leads me to think that people who buy Romances probably wouldn't either, which would be counter-productive. I mean, for your purposes.
However, I am seeing the trade format make inroads into traditional pocket-size genres (particularly sci-fi/fantasy).

I just went to measure 9 inches and let me tell you - somebody's been lying to me.

Anyway, no I don't really look at the format, because I usually buy books for one of two reasons - it's something I've been looking for specifically, therefore I'll buy it whatever the size, or it's going cheap in which case I don't give one.

However my ideal handling size is about 4x7.

1) Yes and getting more so.

2) Sometimes. If it's a book I know I'll keep or re-read, then I prefer the softbound format because they stand up much better than the mass market paperbacks. Hardbacks are usually out of my budget unless they're highly discounted or used.

3) No, as long as the price is within reason.

aww, your trying a questionaire like me. so cute...

Yep, that's me -- the copy Cat(hy) :p

So tell me how many centimeters make an inch???

Oops! :eek: So sorry, forgot the metric conversion. We don't use it much on this side of the pond. Softbound book that's 15cm x 22.5 cm. Same size as a standard hardback, but with a soft cover.

1). Yes its fairly common
2). Sometimes - if its a book I'm collecting (a series and such like), i'll buy it in hardback - all others I buy in normal paperback - I personally do not like trade paperbacks.
3). No

As Ice has said, yes it's common in the UK. Ditto on the second. I don't like trade paperback. It's too big and too expensive. If I really want better quality then I would buy a hardback. Lastly, I only write on toilet walls not books so I can't tell you anything on the last question!

PS: Good luck on your new book :)

1. They're getting more common
2. The price is too high, I usually go online and buy it used or get it from the library. I do like them to read, just not the price.
3. If its one of my top three authors, then I will buy it, but I look for the mass market paperback first.

1. It's pretty common here too. I prefer it to Hardback, but i prefer mass paperback most of all.
2. The format matters! I will always pick up the mass paperback before any other format...
3. ...unless it's by authors i really like, then i'll normally grab the first copy i see, regardless of format. but as Ell said, as long as the price is within reason.

ds

I noticed that Harlequin is trying out trade paperback in their new lines (Red Dress Ink - chick lit, Luna - fantasy/romance). I'm in the states so you probably have a good idea of our buying habits, but I am generally put off a bit by the higher price on the trade paperbacks. If I want to keep it for frequent re-reading, I'll probably search out a hardcover.

I think you're probably right about the grocery/discount stores, too, I don't see very many trade paperbacks there.

Trade paperbacks also don't trade at used book stores as well, but since you're trying to sell them new that's probably to your advantage. ;)

I can't really take mass paperback if I plan on enjoying the book. I don't like the font, and it's too squished in for me to do my normal scribbling in the book. On that note, I'm sure the type of book makes a difference, so I'm not sure if my habits in this matter really apply. However, I do notice more and more people buying trade paper as something they can still lie around with comfortably holding up without paying hardback prices.

Cathy C said:
1) Is the large softbound format of book common where you are?

2) As a reader, do you look at the FORMAT the book is in on the shelf, and does the price or format influence your buying if it's a new author (or a new series by a familiar author)?

3) If you already like the writer, does the format matter?

Just looking for general opinions to help us decide. Thanks!

Cathy

I do buy some books, so I'll weigh in here.

1) That format isn't very common here, but I do see it now and again.

2) I do look at the format and the price influences my purchase more than the format.

3) If I already like a writer, the format isn't that big of a deal. I'll buy a more expensive book if I'm sure it will be worth it.

as i read more sci-fi/fantasy than anything else, i'll say that the trade paperback format is becoming more and more common than it ever has before.

i myself will purchase a mass market paperback before anything else, unless the mass market is not available, and the trade is. case in point: i had read the first 2 books in Micheal Stackpole's Dragoncrown War series and was eagerly awaiting the third installment. from the author's site, i learned that his publisher was not wanting to publish in mass market because of lack of immediate sales on the second book. their intention was to publish fewer copies in trade paperback and use that as a gauge of interest in the series, and then decide how many copies to actually print in mass market. so i went ahead and bought the trade. it took 2 years for them to come out with the mass market edition! thats to long to wait for someone eagerly awaiting the next installment of a story that they know is finished and in the publisher's hands.

as for the format making a difference, only so far as the price is concerned.
i would prefer all of my books to be in hardback, as they are more durable, they look better, and the quality in printing and materials is much better. (how many of us have been reading a paperback and run across blantant mis spellings or just the wrong word completely?)
unfortunately, my wallet prefers me to only purchase the mass market paperbacks. with my voracious appetite for reading, if i were to buy anything else but mass market paperbacks, i'd soon starve!

my personal opinion about your situation would be if the author is a highly popular one, to print a limited amount in trade paperback, then about a month later do a mass market release. if that author's sales are only mediocre, it would be a waste to do that.....go straight to the mass market.

Thanks everyone, for your terrific answers! I think we're probably going to go for it, if the publisher will cooperate ( :rolleyes: ) but I certainly appreciate all of the input.

:D Cathy

Back