• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Book High

-Carlos-

Do you get your book high (pleasure) when you start reading a book or when you're finishing it?

I get my book high when I'm finishing a book. :D

For me, it's the beginning. The anticipation is the fun of the whole thing IMHO. It's new, you don't know about it. Will the author hit you with a highly humorous introduction of the characters? Or will he start out talking about himself in a weird way like Vonnegut would? The end brings something else entirely, it's almost a let down. The anticipation for the next book then begins.:D

i get mine when i find a new book in a shop, and decide i have to buy it.. :D this goes for any addition to a series or a brand new one, i am especially happy if i manage to find a complete series i haven't heard of before.

I would have to agree with Zen. I think I get it from actually getting the book. Especially if it is an older one I want and I finally find it at some used book shop in good condition.

i agree with SFG75 as far as the beginning goes, the start of the book when you figure out who what and where your reading about is over, the book gets to that part where things start happening and you figure out what your(orwhatyouthink) getting into, thats the part of the book were i sit up in bed in the middle of the nite, flying threw pages

Depends. I think books in general just make me high.

I love buying books, and bringing them home, and admiring them.

I love when I'm racing through an awesome book and nearing the end because I feel a bit of accomplishment when I finish something, although if the book was really good I feel a bit empty afterwards - I want something the same.

But, mostly, I love getting into a new book, and realizing it's awesome and realizing that I have a new best friend for a few days.

I get book high when I buy them, as I read the first few pages and when I finish a book... too bad my SO doesn' understand this... :rolleyes:

Dharma

Depends. I think books in general just make me high.

I love buying books, and bringing them home, and admiring them.

I love when I'm racing through an awesome book and nearing the end because I feel a bit of accomplishment when I finish something, although if the book was really good I feel a bit empty afterwards - I want something the same.

But, mostly, I love getting into a new book, and realizing it's awesome and realizing that I have a new best friend for a few days.
At least I know that I am not alone. :)

Most pleasurable for me is the beginning. The knowledge that for several hours I can submerge myself in a different World and distract myself with the exciting exploits of others, and come of at the end better for it, is very contenting.

Infact it depends what kind of book we are talking about. If the book follows some sort of adventure, like the books of Dumas, Sabatini, Scott, Stevenson, Rowling, or Tolkien to name some favorites, what I said above is quite valid.

However, books like those of my favorite author, Fyodor Dostoevsky, tend to cause me the most excitement at the very end. It can't really be called, "excitement", either, as these are profound and morose pieces of literature, but the feeling of having understood the psychological or sociological profiles these authors develop comes, inevitably, at the end, and after reading a Dostoevsky one has the sense that his or her emotional intelligence has been augmented.

Whenever I read an book like those of Dostoevsky, examining the darkest thoughts of us humans, I feel wonderful for it and also feel able and wanting to do some light reading-R. Louis Stevenson perhaps- as a sort of "cool-down" or relaxation method, but when I finish a great and more moving adventure like the Count of Monte Cristo or Harry Potter, I often find it is difficult to immediately start something else-I need time to accept that the great journey is done.

Perhaps the "high" obtained from a new book even apexes as I am purchasing or taking out the book. There is such a feeling that I am making an investment into my own intellect, as well as my pleasure, that is nice.

I get mine when I purchase a new book, when I get something I purchased through the mail months ago (aka Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows), when I have read a bunch, and when I finish a book.

Back