• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

"Book of the Month Club"

dragonflies77

Hello. I am trying to track down a specific "Book of the Month Club" so to speak. In this club, you receive a book of classic literature every month or so, such as Huckleberry Finn, Great Expectations, David Copperfield, etc. These books look like old books, but are actually new. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? If so, can you please let me know where I can find more information about signing up for this?? Thanks so much!:)

dragonflies77 said:
Hello. I am trying to track down a specific "Book of the Month Club" so to speak. In this club, you receive a book of classic literature every month or so, such as Huckleberry Finn, Great Expectations, David Copperfield, etc. These books look like old books, but are actually new. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? If so, can you please let me know where I can find more information about signing up for this?? Thanks so much!:)

Don't do it. All these book clubs are the work of Satan and will take you for every penny you have.

IMHO.

Let it go.

CDA said:
Don't do it. All these book clubs are the work of Satan and will take you for every penny you have.

IMHO.

Let it go.

He's right, better to go visit Used Bookstore or other independent book seller and choose a classic from their shelves. So what if the bindings aren't all alike? For uniformity, buy a roll of wallpaper. For real reading, choose a real book. JMHO..really, do what you like:)

Kookamoor said:
Or... you could do this.

Oh no, not that thing again!! ;)

BTW, I wonder if this is what you are looking for. The books don't actually look old, they're just leather bound. I suppose it is a nice collection if you've got that kind of $$ to throw around. Randomly I got a catalog from them this weekend, so I hope it helps.

mehastings said:
Oh no, not that thing again!! ;)
:D I can't help it - it captures my imagination!!

mehastings said:
BTW, I wonder if this is what you are looking for.
Man, they look nice... although the price is pretty steep for each volume - ouch! Is that really much of a saving from the bookstore price?

To me, half the joy of having such a collection would be the variety of bindings, and to be able to look it all over and remember where this book or that came from. Don't mind me, I LIKE mismatched dinnerware too.

abecedarian said:
To me, half the joy of having such a collection would be the variety of bindings, and to be able to look it all over and remember where this book or that came from. Don't mind me, I LIKE mismatched dinnerware too.

That is the weird thing. The above collection has mis-matched bindings. I think it is supposed to look like you went to the trouble to collect them all from different places. Personally, I like trade paperback anyway. I know my books won't last for two hundred years, but I honestly don't care as I probably won't either!

mehastings said:
BTW, I wonder if this is what you are looking for. .
Those books do look very nice, IMO. I did enjoy the comment "Books shown smaller than actual varying sizes" at the bottom of the page, too. That made me chuckle :D

abecedarian said:
I agree, abece - as much as my imagination is captured by a pallet of books landing on my doorstep, I would much prefer mine to be mismatched as well. I enjoy choosing the version I want, the text size, and having a story to tell in regard to where I bought it and how it felt to open it for the first time.

And it thrills my cheap soul to be able to point to certain books and say, "I got that book for mere quarter!!" Not that I'd ever brag, you see ;)

Indeed, but old books can have a very yucky aroma depending on where they lived before they came to me, hence I'm always very careful before I buy used books that are in less than VGC.

I've just been to the second-hand store in town and there was a book I might have bought had it not smelled like a dog had peed on it. The pages didn't have any water damage so I doubt that had ever happened, but I am most definitely not sticking my nose in a book the smell of which makes me wanna puke.

abecedarian said:
Old books have an aroma of their own too ;)

Yes they do, and I like this too. But it has to be a certain smell: old Penguins are good for this, I find. But like Jemima Aslana, I can't read a book if it stinks like an ash tray or a wet dog.

You're both right about certain odors making enjoying a book impossible. I meant that patina of age, or even the aroma of someone's perfume or cologne, or even the hint of chocolate from the pages of a cookbook.
I can almost handle wet dog scent, but stale cigarette odors make me feel grimey and in need of a shower.

All this talk about the wonderful odors of books and stationary reminds me of a highlight of my elementary school life. We LIVED for the times the teacher would have to run down to the office to run off mimeograph copies, so we could all as one, SNIFF the purple ink :rolleyes: :rolleyes: You'd think we were addicts or something:D

Back