• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Book of the Month Jan-Jun 2004

Darren

It's time to decide on the next six month's worth of books to have as group reads.

From previous posts, it seems like people want them to be tied to a theme, eg Christmas books around Christmas etc.

So, let's here them :)

Can I nominate (although I've read these already- will pick a few genres):

Northern Lights (aka Golden Compass to the rest of the world)- Phillip Pullman
The Stars My Destination - Alfred Bester
I Am Legend - Richard Matheson
The Maltese Falcon- Dashiell Hammett
Treasure Island- R.L. Stephenson
Rebecca - Daphne Du Maurier
To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee
An Inspector Calls- JB Priestly - Yes I know it's a play.

Although if someone gave out 'themes' it'd probably be easier to select a few books.

well, it doesnt go with the christmas theme, except it's about jesus. The Last Temptation of Christ. Best book ever.

February = Valentines - how about either a romantic book or one about being single and hating it (such as Bridget Jones)?

Mxx

Originally posted by murphyz
February = Valentines - how about either a romantic book or one about being single and hating it (such as Bridget Jones)?
Mxx

Sounds good- not too taxing a read either

April starts with April Fools Day, so can we havew a comedyesque type book for that month? Hitchiker's guide? Good omens (Pratchett and Gaiman)?

Bridget Jones Diary would be good for January too, it is full of New Year's resolutions.

I'd love Northern Lights/Golden Compass - I've been meaning to pick it up again.

Cold Mountain, as the movie is coming out?

We have to wait for Darren's say so on this months Book, although it might end up as a January/February joint read instead, which has happened in the past.

Phil :)

Thanks Phil_T, :)

I will patiently wait for Darren's say so.

Nice to know I am not the only one up late.... :D

Are you an hour ahead of us in Denmark? Must be 1:30 there i think, its only half twelve here, not all that late :)

Im sure Darren will be around at some point, although the Mods have all been a bit quiet recently

Phil

Ahhhhh Sunday, how we love it so, the only day my damn company do not require me to work EVER :) :) :)

Mmmmmmmmmmm, Roast Dinner :)

In fact, i think that ive been unappreciating Sundays, they are without the best day ever, the only problem with them is that you always have this niggling little knowledge that you have to go back to work the next day.

Phil [end rant]

I know that feeling, Phil. Every Sunday night before I go bed and thought I wish tomorrow will be another Sunday!! In the morning, I start to think come on this Friday night and start to countdown!!!

I second Good Omens, been wanting to read it again.

Other books I have and been meaning to read:
A Man in Full - Tom Wolfe
The Forest - Edward Rutherfurd
Here on Earth - Alice Hoffman
Lonesome Dove - Larry McMurtry

Also, I have never read Stephen King's The Stand. I've been told repeatedly that I should. That could be more of a commitment than everyone can go in for, though.

I know this is a ways off, but in October a good book is Midnight for Charlie Bone. I read it and then my mom read it and she liked it a lot. (My mom reads A LOT) :)

My apologies for not sorting out the Book of the Month earlier, but my internet connection isn't working and I'm having to use a limited dial-up access.

It'll probably be best to cancel January and start again with February onwards.

So how about...

Feb - Bridget Jones Diary
Mar - ?
Apr - Good Omens
May - ?
Jun - ?

Themes for March - 1st day of Spring or St. Patrick's Day. Ok, that's really reaching, but the best I can come up with.

Back