• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Book of the Month Jul-Dec 2004

Status
Not open for further replies.
A Suitable boy for July
Something lightweight for August
Faulks' Birdsong for September?

Can we have some decent horror for October? King's Stand or Shining, Barker's Imajica, Blatty's Exorcist or Shirley Jackson's The Haunting of Hill House for example

Can we have a conspiracy for November? eg Eco's Foucault's Pendulum

December, something Christmasy?

I suggest Stephenson's Cryptonomicon for december, because that's when I'll finally have read the entire monster.

Cheers, Martin :cool:

How about Paul Coelho's "The Alchemist"? According to the biographical notes it's a book "...with the power to inspire nations and to change people's lives." (!) That's quite a claim, but it would be interesting to put it to the test.

headpodd said:
I'll second the "decent horror" but would rather it wasn't King.

:)

Thanks

headpodd

How about something by Koontz? I've always preferred him over King.

RaVeN

I used to read a lot of Koontz but haven't in a while. He put them out quicker than I could read them. LOL I wouldn't mind getting one of his latest though.

Barker would be cool with me too though. I've yet to read any of his and have wanted to for some time. I own 2 of his now but they're untouched on my shelf.

RaVeN

I agree witht he decent horror for October King or Koontz doesn't really matter both are easy reads. I have never read Barker so this would be a new author for me to discover. I also agree with the christmasy suggestion for december maybe "Winter Soltice" cannot remeber the author of the top of my haed but I remeber it was easy and fast read which is always a good thing during the ectic holiday seasons :D

How about Ulysses by James Joyce. It's been on my shelf for a while and I think it would be fun to read through it while discussing it with others.

I vote for Stephen King's The Stand to be one of the months. And I recommend hmmm All Quiet on the Western Front, Don Quixote, and let me get back to you on that......

How about one of the months we read Pegasus Bridge by Stephen Ambrose? Its about The British paratroopers on D-day during WWII. What do ya think?

Sapper41 said:
How about one of the months we read Pegasus Bridge by Stephen Ambrose? Its about The British paratroopers on D-day during WWII. What do ya think?

Very topical - good choice. Is it fiction or a true story? Not the D-day landings obviously, but the actual story. :rolleyes:

A Suitable Boy is HUGE and I haven't actually read War and Peace yet. :eek: Maybe a book that's a bit shorter? Though if everyone else is up for it I'll try to fit it in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back