• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Book on basic car maintenance

novella

I want to get a book on basic car mechanics and maintenance. I'm one of those people who puts some oil in when I have a car hunch, checks the tire pressure, and hopes for the best. Car mechanics see me coming. My hub helps, but I feel like I rely on him too much.

Does anyone have such a book or know of a book to recommend? I looked on amazon, and there are a few, but its hard to know which would be the most help.

I want to know enough to be able to at least discuss a problem, based on a sound or a smell or something, the way people who know cars do. (My hub gets in the car and starts talking about some subtle noise that I can't even hear, and comes up with some dire prognostication.) Better yet, if I can get close to a diagnosis or even do basic stuff, I would feel more secure.

Most auto part stores and some book stores carry books for most vehicles on the market. Hubby and I always get one every time we buy a vehicle. They are either Chilton's or Haynes and will cover one or two models for a few production years in one book. They have a maintainance schedule section that says when, how and what you need to do to keep your car running well. They have a pretty good troubleshooting section. I have used it to diagnose a problem, or at the very least, steer our mechanic-friend towards the problem. They may even help your hubby do a lot of vehicke repairs. They have pics and good instructions for just about everything. And if there is something that a qualified mechanic should do, they even tell you that.

Rather than - or as well as - a book I would recommend attending a basic vehicle maintenance class. I did this last year at a night class through our local further education college as I was ashamed of knowing literally nothing about what goes on down there, and fearful (like novella) of being an easy mark for rip-off mechanics. It gave me a lot more confidence to do simple things myself, even though I rarely need to; I know when I need professional help and when I don't.

Shade, I was going to recommend the same thing. Take one of those basic auto-mechanic classes or something specifically designed for women who don't know much about cars. The ones that give you 'hands-on' experience are very good.

ell

My husband (hobby) and father in law(work) are mechanics and they always buy Chilton manuals for their cars. I like helping them and often I read parts of the manuals out loud while they are looking under the hood. They seem well laid out, have very detailed diagrams and often have good trouble shooting tips. I would probably still take a class if you aren't familiar with mechanics because I think it helps to know some basic info about your car and it's parts my hubby gave me a an intro when we were dating and he was rebuilding a dodge dart, romantic eh?

LOL-the wife does all the auto repair in our house....I'm lucky to know where the gas nozzle goes. :eek: Do they have one of those Idiot's guide to.... books on auto repair? :eek: :eek:

Back