• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Book, reading, literature quote of the day-from you

Here are a few off my site.

Always read stuff that will make you look good if you die in the middle of it.
- PJ O'Rourke

The reason why so few good books are written is that so few people who can write know anything.
- Walter Bagehot

All good books have one thing in common - they are truer than if they had really happened, and after you have read one of them you will feel that all that happened, happened to you and then it belongs to you forever.
- Ernest Hemingway

The person who deserves most pity is a lonesome one on a rainy day who doesn't know how to read.
- Benjamin Franklin

All books are divisible into two classes, the books of the hours, and the books of all time.
- John Ruskin

And my personal favorite:
Books are the quietest and most constant friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.
- Charles W. Eliot

"For it has come about, by the wise economy of nature, that our modern spirit can almost dispense with language; the commonest expressions do, since no expressions do; hence the most ordinary conversation is often the most poetic, and the most poetic is that which cannot be written down. For which reasons we leave a great blank here, which must be taken to indicate that the space is filled to repletion.

"

(From Orlando / Virginia Woolf)

And also, the entire preface to The Picture of Dorian Gray - a bit big to post, but it can be found here: http://classiclit.about.com/library/bl-etexts/owilde/bl-owilde-pic-pre.htm

*mrkgnao*

StillILearn said:
OMG! Another person who has read Orlando! That makes two of us.:D

*scratches head* Are there people who haven't read Orlando? What have they been reading? ;)

*mrkgnao*

"Books are the carriers of civilization. Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."

- Barbara Tuchman

A wonderful thing about a book, in contrast to a computer screen, is that you can take it to bed with you.

- Daniel J. Boorstein

The test of literature is, I suppose, whether we ourselves live more intensely for the reading of it.

- Elizabeth Drew

and

I have every sympathy with the American who was so horrified by what he had read about the effects of smoking that he gave up reading.

- Henry G. Strauss

Back