• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Book Reccomendation? :)

Finals are almost over, leaving me with an entire month of nothingness planned before I go away.. and I intend to read. :) I'm not looking for anything in particular, I like mostly fiction but will read anything good.

Some books that I have read recently and enjoyed:
-Cat's Cradle, Hocus Pocus, Slaughterhouse 5, Breakfast of Champions- Kurt Vonnegut
-Almost everything by Ray Bradbury :p
-The Fountainhead- Ayn Rand
-A Confederacy of Dunces, The Neon Bible- John Kennedy Toole
-Lolita, Pale Fire- Vladmir Nabokov
-Labyrinths- Jorge Luis Borges
-Zen and The Art of Motorcycle Maintenence- Robert M. Pirsig
-No Exit and Other Plays - Jean-Paul Sartre
-White Noise- Don DeLillo
-The Things They Carried- Tim O'Brien
-The Catcher in the Rye, Nine Stories- J.D. Salinger
-A Clockwork Orange, The Wanting Seed, One Hand Clapping- Anthony Burgess
-The Dubliners- James Joyce

It is far from being a complete list, but just off of the top of my head. :) If anyone could reccomend something good to read, I would really appreciate it.

Thank you! :cool:

Here's a couple of ideas.

East Of Eden by John Steinbeck
Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry

Very different from one another but both are easy to get lost in!

Here's some more ideas:
All Over But The Shoutin'- Rick Bragg
Confederates in the Attic-Tony Horwitz
The Sea of Trolls-Nancy Farmer( YA, but a great story)
Same Sweet Girls-Cassandra King
The Preservationist-David Maine
Sailing the Wine Dark Sea: Why the Greeks Matter-Thomas Cahill
How the Irish Saved Civilization-Thomas Cahill
The Red Heart-James Alexander Thom
1632-Eric Flint *
The Two Georges-Richard Dreyfuss & Harry Turtledove
Practical Magic-Alice Hoffman
She Walks These Hills-Sharyn McCrumb *
10 Little Indians-Sherman Alexi
Tales From the Turtle-ed. Piers Anthony(Native American fantasy)
Dies the Fire-S.M. Sterling *

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.. The titles with asteriks are either the first in a series, or part of one. I couldn't remember the titles from the Stirling series that connects with Dies the Fire, but it can stand alone. She Walks These Hills is not the first in the Ballad series, but I don't like to reccomend the first title to be read first-the books got much better after the first one..

i started to read how the irish saved civilization and it got lost in the shuffle. we are redoing our bedroom. when i find it i am restarting it. and i always look for practical magic as i loved the movie and i have read several of her other books. is the book better?

i am reading the other boleyn girl and love it. great read.

btw, nice to see prince back again. long time no see.

Oh my goodness I'd forgotten about The Other Boleyn Girl, I really liked that book, Philippa Gregory portrays Anne Boleyn beautifully. I definitely recommend it, but depending on what you are looking for here are some other good ones:
- White Oleander by Janet Finch (It's pretty powerful with really interesting characters)
- The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas (A classic story with everything, and brilliant to allude to in writing)
- Isaac's Storm or Devil in the White City by Erik Larson (Undeniably the best non-fiction ever, two of my favorite books

No Exit by Satre - one of my favourite plays! Fantastic!!!

Unfortunately, I don't own a copy.

How about:
  • Oryx and Crake - Margaret Atwood
  • The Memory of Running - Ron McLarty
  • Blindness - Jose Saramago
  • Guns, Germs and Steel - Jared Diamond (non-fiction)
  • Cryptonomicon - Neal Stephenson
  • The Corrections - Jonathan Franzen

All very different, but books I really enjoyed and would like to read again if I ever get the time.

I haven't seen the movie Practical Magic, but when I was reading the book, I kept thinking that I could see why someone thought it would make a great movie..I'd like to rent it sometime when my hubby's not around. I doubt he'd like it very much..he might, it's very hard for me to predict ;)

If you like White Noise and other literary fiction (especially magical realism) read Salman Rushdie. I read The Satanic Verses and The Ground Beneath Her Feet and really enjoyed both, though not quite as much as White Noise.

Love4OneAnother said:
Finals are almost over, leaving me with an entire month of nothingness planned before I go away.. and I intend to read. :) I'm not looking for anything in particular, I like mostly fiction but will read anything good.

Some books that I have read recently and enjoyed:
-Cat's Cradle, Hocus Pocus, Slaughterhouse 5, Breakfast of Champions- Kurt Vonnegut
-Almost everything by Ray Bradbury :p
-The Fountainhead- Ayn Rand
-A Confederacy of Dunces, The Neon Bible- John Kennedy Toole
-Lolita, Pale Fire- Vladmir Nabokov
-Labyrinths- Jorge Luis Borges
-Zen and The Art of Motorcycle Maintenence- Robert M. Pirsig
-No Exit and Other Plays - Jean-Paul Sartre
-White Noise- Don DeLillo
-The Things They Carried- Tim O'Brien
-The Catcher in the Rye, Nine Stories- J.D. Salinger
-A Clockwork Orange, The Wanting Seed, One Hand Clapping- Anthony Burgess
-The Dubliners- James Joyce

It is far from being a complete list, but just off of the top of my head. :) If anyone could reccomend something good to read, I would really appreciate it.

Thank you! :cool:

Hi there, You may enjoy one of these :)

'The Great Pretender' ~ Millenia Black

'Blindness' ~Jose Saramago,

'Girlfriend in a Coma' ~ Douglas Coupland

ah, the fountainhead. i bought it over the summer b/c it was on sale [$3 =D] but i can't seem to completely get into it.. i keep pausing. i still haven't gotten past Chapter 10.. one of these days.. one of these days

Back