• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Book translation

Hey,

I am currently reading a great book by Amos Elon, "the pity of it all". I wanted to give it to my mom before she goes to visit Berlin (which is in Germany). However, she reads only russian.
Does anybody know how can I figure out whether this book was translated into russian?

We have a Russian member here, named Sergo, although I don't think he's much of a frequent visitor. So, that said, I would suggest asking the Russians on the lovely Master Russian forum; they are very helpful. :)

"My history professor suddenly mentioned this book in a lecture today."

It is not surprizing. It rather covers political and cultural life in Germany before the first-world-war, and untill Nazis time. Normally I am getting bored of everything which is not science fiction, but German histrory itself sounds like a science fiction. The book comes to analyze jews in a scene of german culture, and trying to answer whether the both world-wars could have been forseen. He speaks about many german intelectuals and their lives (well, for most of them I even had no idea that those had any jewish origins! - anyways who cares? but according to this book, EVERYBODY back then cared!).
I found it well-written and not boring. Also I learnt a lot about great intellectuals, like Mendelssohn, Heinrich Heine, or even Einstein (about Einstein I thought I new everything, but it comes out that probably not). And Amos Elon has performed a really great reaserch, book that one can trust, which is not based on rumours and his own feelings, but facts.

Back