• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Booker Prize 2005

Well Rushdie's Shalimar the Clown is supposed to be that much-vaunted promise, 'a return to form,' though it wouldn't be hard for it to be better than The Ground Beneath Her Feet or Fury. And Smith has talent, even though it was nowhere on display in the appalling Autograph Man, and only intermittent in the fun-but-flawed White Teeth. But I believe she is capable of producing a good book, so I hope that's what she's done this time.

I've read four of the shortlist, Barnes, Ishiguro, Lewycka and McEwan. Would also like to read Ali Smith's The Accidental.

Shade said:
And Smith has talent, even though it was nowhere on display in the appalling Autograph Man, and only intermittent in the fun-but-flawed White Teeth.

I remember buying The Autograph Man and tiring of it rather early although I did make up my mind to get round to reading it eventually. But, now that I think of it, I have a mental image of my bookcases and I don't recall it's spine appearing on any one of the shelves...unless it's stacked behind with the other books (the Kings and the Koontz) that I can't be bothered to flog to charity shops.

:D My Money is on

Kazuo Ishiguro – ''Never Let Me Go''

Or :)

Marina Lewycka – ''A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian''

Mind you I always get it wrong :(

Back