• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Books about adolescence?

ghostdog

Could anyone recommend me any books that deal with adolescence? I'm looking for something that captures the horniness, the insecurity, the nostalgia, the jealousy, the ostentation, the failure to find a parter, the empty feeling that remains after lust, the questioning of existence, the new ideas replacing old ones, and the old ideas coming back to replace new ones. What I'm trying to say is I just want to find a book dealing with these experiences so I can know that I am not alone. Thank you.

I already read The Catcher in the Rye and although I enjoyed it, it's not what I'm looking for exactly. Thanks though.

I'm reading Prep by Curtis Sittenfeld, and it has all that. It's fairly new, came out last year, I think. Sounds exactly what you're looking for.

There are a few books out there that deal with some of those issues in adolescent girls.

A few are Queen Bees and Wannabes, Odd Girl Out and Reviving Ophelia.

There's also a book called Will's Choice, which is about a teenager who tries to commit suicide and it's effects on his family and friends.

Lastly, there is Hurt. If you are looking for something general, that deals with young men equally (as most of the books out there are about girls), this is probably your best bet.

All of these books are non-fiction.

maybe This Boy's Life by Tobias Wolff
Wolff offers an engrossing and candid look into his childhood and adolescence in his first book of nonfiction. In unaffected prose he recreates scenes from his life that sparkle with the immediacy of narrative fiction. The result is an intriguingly guileless book, distinct from the usual reflective commentary of autobiography, that chronicles the random cruelty of a step father, the ambiguity of youthful friendships, and forgotten moments like watching The Mickey Mouse Club. Throughout this youthful account runs the solid thread of the author's respect and affection for his mother and a sense of wonder at the inexplicable twistings and turnings of the road to adulthood in modern America. Highly recommended.

he recounts his coming-of-age with customary skill and self-assurance. Seeking a better life in the Northwestern U.S. with his divorced mother, whose strange docility, almost paralysis, with men of the tyrant breed taught Wolff the virtue of rebellion, moved to invent a private, better version of himself in order to rise above his troubles. Since Wolff the writer never pities Wolff the boy, the author characterizes the crew of grown-up losers with damning objectivity, from the neurotic stepfather who painted his entire house (piano and Christmas tree included) white, to the Native American football star whose ultimate failure was as inexplicable as his athletic brilliance. Briskly and candidly reported Wolff's boyhood best friend bathed twice a day but always gave off an ammoniac hormonal smell, the smell of growth and anxiety his youth yields a self-made man whose struggle to fit the pieces together is authentic and endearing.

I highly recommend Ordinary People by Judith Guest. It has all the elements you're looking for. It's about this guy in high school who tried to kill himself after the accidental death of his older brother. He survived his suicide attempt and had to spend a year in a mental institution, and the book begins when he is starting back up in his old school, a year behind all his old friends. It sounds depressing and parts of it are, but there's also hopeful and triumphant parts to it - a lot like life at that age. It's a really cathartic book and I remember really loving it when I was in high school.

Possibly The Virgin Suicides by Jeffery Eugenides? I havn't read it personally, but it sounds a bit like what you are looking for.

MonkeyCatcher said:
Possibly The Virgin Suicides by Jeffery Eugenides? I havn't read it personally, but it sounds a bit like what you are looking for.
MC
From, seeing the movie however, it was rather a downer, even if quite realistic with respect to other parts of the story. OMO
Peder

Peder said:
MC
From, seeing the movie however, it was rather a downer, even if quite realistic with respect to other parts of the story. OMO
Peder

The book is also something of a downer. Quite similar to the movie.

Heya cant believe no1 has mentioned dis
Adrian moles diarys
it deals with adolescence in a hilarious way i highly recommend it

ghostdog said:
Could anyone recommend me any books that deal with adolescence? I'm looking for something that captures the horniness, the insecurity, the nostalgia, the jealousy, the ostentation, the failure to find a parter, the empty feeling that remains after lust, the questioning of existence, the new ideas replacing old ones, and the old ideas coming back to replace new ones. What I'm trying to say is I just want to find a book dealing with these experiences so I can know that I am not alone. Thank you.

WILL@epicqwest.com by Tom Grimes is a fantastic read.

I'd recommend some of Ian McEwan's short stories. In a couple of them he does touch upon subjects of adolescence, sexuality and so forth.

Try A Certain Age by Rebecca Ray. Personally I didn't think it was that great, but I'd say it certainly has most of what you're looking for...

i was really into these books when i was 11-14. i was reading all the books about teenagers that i could get my hands on. i think it might've started with Harley, like the person.. the cover caught my attention. (bright, neon, lime green with purple) it continued with authors like Sarah Dessen and Fransica Lia Block.. and everything inbetween.

i somewhat strayed away from them when starting high school mostly b/c i stopped going to the school library so much. the most recent book i read about teenagers was Pure Sunshine. hm, carrie by stephen king can fall into this catergory to some extent as well. now that i'm 16, i suppose these books aren't as appealing since i've either gone through these things, or worse things. i actually bought Sloppy Firsts (to re-read) and Second Helpings recently b/c i remember loving Sloppy Firsts that much when i read it when i was 14.

Speak was a great book. i just remembered since the author wrote back one girl from my AP European History class this week. everyone in the class got all excited and started saying how great the book is.. even the guys.. i should re-read; i read it when i was 12 or 13.

I'm finishing Southeast, Forgotten Memories by Blair Cunnyngham. It's an obscure title I found on Amazon by using these same search terms. Very interesting read so far. It's about age-old adolescent issues of love, relationships, parents and suicide. There is a sci-fi/religious twist as angels and demons battle it out for influence in the protagonist's life. Unique story with a good message.

Back