• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

books based on mythology

scullyx101

i was just wondering if anyone knew some good novels that are based on myths. greek mythology is my fav, but any suggestions are welcome.
i've read sirena by donna jo napoli and ecstasia and primavera by francesca lia block
and on my TBR list i've added quiver by stephanie spinner and both the penelopiad and weight by margaret atwood
i was having trouble finding stuff on amazon.com but i'm really interested in your guys' recommendations. thanks!!

jessy

Till We Have Faces by C.S. Lewis
I have yet to read it but my wife enjoyed it quite a bit.

From Amazon:
This tale of two princesses - one beautiful and one unattractive - and of the struggle between sacred and profane love is Lewis’s reworking of the myth of Cupid and Psyche and one of his most enduring works.

I hope you've seen that The Penelopiad is part of an international publishing feast :) of writers from all around the world putting forth their versions of classical myths? Of the ones published so far I've found: "Weight" (Atlas) by Jeanette Winterson, "A short history of myth" (non-fiction) by Karen Armstrong, "The helmet of horror" (Theseus) by Viktor Pelevin. Apparently, there will be about 30 books in the end, but they should have a comprehensive website for the series :( (I haven't found one, anyways)

Other thoughts: Eyvind Johnson wrote a modern novel out of The Odyssey, English title seems to be Return to Ithaca. American Gods by Neil Gaiman features gods from almost all pantheons except the Greek... And in poetry, "Ode to Psyche" by John Keats :)

*mrkgnao*

there's helmet of horror (the story of theseus and the minotaur)
you may also want to keep an eye on the myth series from canongate (official site), which this and the penelopiad and weight are a part of. rumour has it that they'll be publishing books under this banner until 2038 (yikes!)

there's peirs anthony's incarnate series, which is about the incarnations of immortality (starting with death, going through time, fate, war, nature, etc)...

staceass said:
you may also want to keep an eye on the myth series from canongate (official site)

I stand corrected, yay! :D ;)

Addendum: several mythological characters turn up in Jasper Fforde's books, and in the Sandman graphic novels (words by Neil Gaiman). And I keep on lookin'... :)

*mrkgnao*

I hope you don't mind if I ask for recommendations in your thread, scullyx101.

Does anyone know of any good books based on Egyptian mythology?

Your lists didn't mention Dan Simmon's Illium, and it's sequel Olympos. These are based on Greek Mythology.

ds

If you are also into plays, look at Metamorphoses by Mary Zimmerman...although it is not the same as seeing the play performed, the words and stories that make up the script are a work of art unto itself. I highly recommend it if you're interested in Greek mythology and retellings of Greek myths.

Donna

Fantasy Moon said:
I hope you don't mind if I ask for recommendations in your thread, scullyx101.

Does anyone know of any good books based on Egyptian mythology?

i dont mind at all, egyptian mythology is wonderful!! i think i have one or two books on the list that deal with the myths of egypt. i could be mistaken though.

Back