• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Books detailing accounts of German soldiers in WWII

When I saw the post I was reminded of a children's book by Robert Ballard. Exploring the Bismark tells about the sinking and raising of this famous German battleship. I grew up singing along with Johnny Horton's Sink the Bismark and was suprised to find out Ballard had found it.
What impressed me about the book was the interviews with British and German sailors who were there with the ship went down. Terrific book..excuse me, I need to go play my Johnny Horton cd...

RobertFKennedy said:
Can anyone suggest any books giving the perspective of German soldiers in WWII?
It depends on what exactly you're looking for.

If you want a book that describes a particular campaign and gives eye-witness testimony from combatants from both sides then I'd suggest: Caen Anvil of Victory by Alexander McKee This is a seminal work about the Normandy Campaign in particular the British/Canadian flank.

If you want a memoir from a German Officer then there are any number to choose from, Panzer Commander by Colonel Hans Von Luck is as good as any. Although as with all war-time memiors you need to remember that the writer may not be the most objective story-teller.

If you're after a gritty, warts and all, this is what it was like for an ordinary soldier book, then this is generally considered a classic of the type: The Forgotten Soldier by Guy Sajer

Regards,

K-S

While its not a book you should see "Der Untergang", a very good german movie about the last days of Hitler.

Do yourself a favor and get the Panzer commander book mentioned by Kenny. I read it a few years back, a very enlightening read. I personally prefer stories about the U-boats and can highly recommend Iron Coffins.

CDA said:
How about Das Boot? Or is that not the kind of thing you're looking for?

Awesome suggestion!, I love the film as well. Naval combat is interesting to me, for some reason, I never could get into military strategy and that kind of thing,though hearing about the Tiger Panzer tank was fascinating-german engineering and technological ability was just outstanding. Lord, imagine if Hitler actually allowed jet production a full year ahead of time!.:eek:

SFG75 said:
Awesome suggestion!, I love the film as well. Naval combat is interesting to me, for some reason, I never could get into military strategy and that kind of thing,though hearing about the Tiger Panzer tank was fascinating-german engineering and technological ability was just outstanding. Lord, imagine if Hitler actually allowed jet production a full year ahead of time!.:eek:

I do not really think anything could have changed the outcome drastically: it seems the German State was not organized properly for the purposes it came to face with all of Europe and some other parts of the world giving up before Hitler. Germany was beaten in Russia not only because of Russian qualities, but because of German system failures as well. As to Tiger Panzer... A great tank, I have a big (60 cm length or so) RC model of it, it moves great on my piece of land. But just the same, I've heard that Russian T34 has been nominated as the best tank of WWII, hasn't it?

Sergo said:
...it seems the German State was not organized properly for the purposes it came to face with all of Europe and some other parts of the world giving up before Hitler. Germany was beaten in Russia not only because of Russian qualities, but because of German system failures as well...
The idea of the ruthlessly efficent German war machine is one willing played up by a number of countires to explain away the defeats of 1939-1942...
Sergo said:
As to Tiger Panzer... A great tank
But not as good as later production versions of the Panther...
Sergo said:
...I've heard that Russian T34 has been nominated as the best tank of WWII, hasn't it?
If it hasn't then it should...

Zolipara said:
While its not a book you should see "Der Untergang", a very good german movie about the last days of Hitler.

Well it was based on Until the Final Hour: Hitler's Last Secretary by Traudl Junge (which is in itself a very good read).

Back