• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Books for Katrina Victims

Ronny said:
I have some books ready and I'm shipping out tomorrow, does anyone know what's the best way to ship them? Flatrate is $7.70 a box, how much is media rate? I'm sure post office will help me figure it out :)

Media mail is VERY cheap. It is a little slower, but if your package is large it is probably the way to go. For example. One of my boxes weighs about 30 lbs. It is just small enough to be a "Package" instead of a "Large Package" media mail costs $10.84 but parcel post costs $23.78. It all depends on how much you can afford to spend on shipping.

mehastings said:
Media mail is VERY cheap. It is a little slower, but if your package is large it is probably the way to go. For example. One of my boxes weighs about 30 lbs. It is just small enough to be a "Package" instead of a "Large Package" media mail costs $10.84 but parcel post costs $23.78. It all depends on how much you can afford to spend on shipping.

Media mail sounds like the way to go, the flat rate boxes aren't very big and I was going to need to send a few but I think I'll go media mail now. Thanks for the info.

Ronny said:
Media mail sounds like the way to go, the flat rate boxes aren't very big and I was going to need to send a few but I think I'll go media mail now. Thanks for the info.

np. I used to do a lot of book swapping, so I used media mail a lot. I've found it to be just as reliable as regular mail and much closer to my budget.

Prairie_Girl said:
I'm going to do some research into what shipping costs would look like, but I work for one of the biggest banks in the company, and there are 300 people in my office alone, I'm going to talk to HR tomorrow and see what I can do, I'm sure people have lots of books kicking around. Will you take magazines and things like that too?

On another forum, someone posted that she'd brought magazines to a hotel where evacuees were staying, and they were VERY grateful for them. However, I need to check with the Salvation Army to see if they'll treat magazines with as much respect as books and let you know. I don't want you to spend money shipping something they'd be inclined to throw out without distributing.

As for everyone else, I am very grateful for your support! Thank you so much!

Back