• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Books for Katrina Victims

namedujour

I live in Ellis County, Texas, which is hosting refugees from Hurricane Katrina. I am volunteering with the local chapter of the Salvation Army, and have begun a drive to collect books, which the Salvation Army will distribute to the victims in the various shelters around this area.

These people will be in the shelters for at least six months, and boredom is expected to be a problem. Books(particularly children's books, but anything is fine) would help them take their mind off things while they try to put their lives back together.

If you would like to contribute any of your used books, please send them to:

Books for Katrina
PO Box 3051
Waxahachie, Tx. 75168

If you see this posting falling off the page, please post a reply so the message bumps up to the top, and gets consistently high visibility on the forum.

Thanks much!!!

It's great that you are so involved with this effort. I'll have to box something up and send it your way.

Yes. I'll try to put something together as well. I don't have kids books to spare, but I've got tons of adult ones that I'm more than ready to part with.

I don't really have any extra books but I'm passing your message on to my family and to my classmates. Good luck!

namedujour said:
I live in Ellis County, Texas, which is hosting refugees from Hurricane Katrina. I am volunteering with the local chapter of the Salvation Army, and have begun a drive to collect books, which the Salvation Army will distribute to the victims in the various shelters around this area.

These people will be in the shelters for at least six months, and boredom is expected to be a problem. Books(particularly children's books, but anything is fine) would help them take their mind off things while they try to put their lives back together.

Books for Katrina
PO Box 3051
Waxahachie, Tx. 75168

If you see this posting falling off the page, please post a reply so the message bumps up to the top, and gets consistently high visibility on the forum.

Thanks much!!!

What a great idea...
Will print above details and stick it on the notice board at work...
:)

namedujour said:

Books for Katrina
PO Box 3051
Waxahachie, Tx. 75168

Thanks much!!!

«:::B:::» «:::U:::» «:::M:::» «:::p:::» :)

My co-workers are putting a large box together for you. I'll be sending it Tuesday, but due to the large size and weight it will be going media mail. It'll be a good week before you see it.

mehastings said:
My co-workers are putting a large box together for you. I'll be sending it Tuesday, but due to the large size and weight it will be going media mail. It'll be a good week before you see it.

Tell everyone THANK YOU!!!

mehastings said:

Now that is one heck of an idea. I'll have to do that with my classes. :cool:

namedujour said:
Tell everyone THANK YOU!!!

No Problem. It will actually be coming in two different boxes as the donations have gotten a tad out of control here. I tried to jam them into one box, but it was impossible to fit and VERY heavy to boot.

I have some books ready and I'm shipping out tomorrow, does anyone know what's the best way to ship them? Flatrate is $7.70 a box, how much is media rate? I'm sure post office will help me figure it out :)

I'm going to do some research into what shipping costs would look like, but I work for one of the biggest banks in the company, and there are 300 people in my office alone, I'm going to talk to HR tomorrow and see what I can do, I'm sure people have lots of books kicking around. Will you take magazines and things like that too?

Back