• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Books I was supposed to love – but didn’t

Pigeon

I am sure it’s happened to all of us. A friend, colleague, media person (ie Oprah) or relative recommends a book they are sure you’ll love. You don’t. You might hate it, or it might just not be up your alley. Whatever. Tell us about those horrible disappointments (and maybe how you broke the news to the recommender?).

Memoirs of a Geisha

This one came hugely recommended. Everyone – friends, customers, media – gushed about this fantastic historical novel. I hated it so much I could barely force myself to finish it. I thought the writing was horrible and the story boring, though I tried so hard to like it. Most books I don’t like I can at least see why people do like them (ie Davinci Code). But not this one. So far I’ve only met one other person who didn’t like it, but I know there must be others.

the timing on this thread is perfect for me! i am about 1/3 through The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. everyone i know who has read this book has told me it's fantastic, every reference i've seen on this forum agrees with that opinion, and i'm a HUGE sci-fi fan. this book isn't doing a thing for me! it's not a hype thing, i don't get carried away by that, it's the book. i haven't found it particularly funny, it's a little boring, and the writing style seems simplistic to me. the imagery is really the only thing keeping me going.

I felt this way about Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold. Had heard it highly recommended by so many people but to me it kind of felt like My So Called Afterlife I didn't hate it but was definitely disappointed.

This happens to me several times a day. I am bombarded with recommendations, and I'm certainly willing to try different books; but after about three pages, I'm usually muttering, "Were the editors asleep?"

My biggest disappointment of this kind recently was Kavalier and Clay. A colleague of mine who is very eloquent and well read recommended it. Usually he knows good writing when he sees it, so I tried, I really did; but after 300 pages, I just had to stop. I don't know how anyone has found it readable.

Mari said:
This happens to me several times a day. I am bombarded with recommendations, and I'm certainly willing to try different books; but after about three pages, I'm usually muttering, "Were the editors asleep?"

My biggest disappointment of this kind recently was Kavalier and Clay. A colleague of mine who is very eloquent and well read recommended it. Usually he knows good writing when he sees it, so I tried, I really did; but after 300 pages, I just had to stop. I don't know how anyone has found it readable.

Really? We were just talking about that on another thread - I'd forgotten all about it. I just adored this book.

pwilson said:
I felt this way about Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold.

Me too. I lost the book midway through it and haven't bothered to look for it since. I know I'll finish it eventually, but I just thought it was really boring.

mehastings said:
I know I'll finish it eventually, but I just thought it was really boring.
If you didn't like the beginning I wouldn't bother picking it back up cause it got worse near the end IMO.

pwilson said:
I felt this way about Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold. Had heard it highly recommended by so many people but to me it kind of felt like My So Called Afterlife I didn't hate it but was definitely disappointed.
I originally didn't like the Lovely Bones... but after writing (and rewriting) essays on it, and many discussions in Literature, my opinion of it has lifted. I guess I become aware of things that didn't jump out at me on the first reading.

i loved lovely bones.

the english patient. man. could not finish that book. after 3 times, the 3rd after watching the movie, i thought, i'm just not going to read this.
and my mom was adamant that i read the alchemist. she was sooo excited and kept going on about how it would change my life.....not so much.

A friend of mine kept recommending me to read 'The Alchemist' by Paulo Coelho. She said it was one of her favourite books. I read it, as I love spiritual books, and found it was completely boring. Didn't learn a thing and I feel I wasted time reading this when I could of read something enjoyable. Oh well things we do to keep the peace.

jenngorham said:
the english patient. man. could not finish that book. after 3 times, the 3rd after watching the movie, i thought, i'm just not going to read this.
I read it! And I feel like I didn't get it: I'm actually pretty sure I didn't. I found the language to be a bit too much complicated for me, and the book was rather "difficult" and a tiny bit dull at times. There were some nice passages in there, but as I said, I just didn't get much out of it. In a way one can say I haven't read it.
(Haven't seen the movie either, does it make the book more understandable for non-smart-asses like me? :cool: )

jenngorham said:
i loved lovely bones.

and my mom was adamant that i read the alchemist. she was sooo excited and kept going on about how it would change my life.....not so much.

I really liked the English patient a lot. It's one of those books that is slow and a "difficult" read. I found the language in the novel so beautiful and that's what really kept me going. Every so often I would come across a line and have to read it again a few times out loud because it was so wonderful.

I know where you are coming from with the "read it 3 times" thing! I was that way with Lord of the rings. I was determined to see just what everybody sees in the novel. Only on my 5th attempt did I actually manage to finish the thing!!!! And even when I finished it still didn't like it. Movie MUCH better *GASP* :eek:

Also Gormanghast trilogy is another. Although I have not given up on that book! I have attempted it twice already and will give it another try at some point!

alias grace....it was recommended by my parents--same thing, oh you're gonna love this, it's an interesting read----ugh..it was so boring. i tried desperately to read and read and read it..just couldn't do it.

for me it has to be the shadow of the wind. i dont know why everyone loves that hated it i found it dull, repetitive and preditble.

**stardust** said:
for me it has to be the shadow of the wind. i dont know why everyone loves that hated it i found it dull, repetitive and preditble.
I didn't hate it, but didn't love it either. It was ok. I felt the author messed up the ending, but that might just be me. And like you, I don't get why everyone find it to be really good...

alchemist

Summerfey said:
A friend of mine kept recommending me to read 'The Alchemist' by Paulo Coelho. She said it was one of her favourite books. I read it, as I love spiritual books, and found it was completely boring. Didn't learn a thing and I feel I wasted time reading this when I could of read something enjoyable. Oh well things we do to keep the peace.

Yeah, I felt pretty much the same on this one. Didn't get what the fuss was all about. At least it was easy to read.

Anna Karenina. If this book was supposed to tell me what a genius Tolstoy is, it really didn't do its job.

Re: The Alchemist, I liked it a lot. I read Eleven Minutes (by the same author) before that and wasn't left too impressed but since critics etc. kept going on about how The Alchemist is his masterpiece I decided to give it a go - and didn't regret it. I agree it's quite a light read, but I don't consider that a bad thing in a book ;)

One book I was recommended was Choke by Chuck Palahniuk. I hated it so much! I thought the characters paper thin, the blatant attempts at shock value unoriginal and consequentially ineffective, and the plot just plain boring. Anoher one I was recommended and finally bought was the book The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom. I thought it was quite silly, way too fluffy for me. I do like those heart warming, meant-to-be-inspiational books (if they're good, obviously) but this one I just did not get into at all. I'm still slightly interested in reading Tuesdays with Morrie (by the same author) since it's got a more interesting perspective to a somewhat similar theme (and besides, if the writing's anything like in The Five People You Meet in Heaven it should be a fairly quick read). Can anyone of you recommend it? (Just remember, if you do and I don't like it I'll come back to this thread and moan about you :p )

Back