• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Books you quit/dropped

I know it sounds ridiculous, but The Tale of Two Cities. I have never gone beyond the first chapter.

No need to apologize!

I've never even read Shirley Jackson's short story "The Lottery" yet. And I consider myself well-read. LOL!

"The Closing of the American Mind" by Allan Bloom.
It was a best seller 20 years ago. I made a few attempts reading this one and would be overwhelmed with it after about a week. I might have to dust it off and take another crack at it in the future.

This one's been sitting on my shelf for nearly half that long, however, I haven't given it an honest try.

The Brothers Karamazov is one I haven't managed to get through yet, I think I got bogged down somewhere in the first 100 pages.

"Clockwork Orange"

Tried twice.......aborted twice.

I just can't get into the language or style. I'll most likely try again as I think this is a significant book in the dystopian genre which I enjoy immensely.

I wish someone would re-write this book ala "Stephen King style".

Cheer,
dan :)

It's pretty well known. I know Al Franken is running for office but I have no idea how his campaign is going.

He nearly won. I mean, impressively so.

I can't get through the Hobbit. Everyone I've talked to about says stick it ouf the first 50-100 pages, and it's worth it, but I just can't (even after skipping ahead - gasp!)

Jack Kerouac, On The Road. I found the story just meandered, with nothing that made me want to keep reading.

John Irving, Setting Free The Bears. I usually like Irving's novels, and usually finish his books even if they're below par (like the bloated Until I Find You). The first section of Setting Free The Bears is good, but once I hit the second section ('The Notebook'), I didn't stick with it.

Back