• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Bookstores may survive with this type of out-of-the-box thinking

Even ignoring booze, the coffee shops that I have seen as parts of Barnes and Noble (and Borders) bookstores have always been popular and very crowded. Parts of the attraction are no doubt the beverages and light foods available, but a relaxing place to sit and shmooze while shopping has to be a large part of the attraction also, whether with booze, coffee or anything else. I've been noticing that there are seldom any places to sit in any other kinds of stores where I have been shopping lately. So, more power to them!

Bookstores that are like that are the best places to hang out and even read a good book. I've been to many bookstores like Powell's in Portland OR. where they have a place where you can sit down and read and drink coffee or whatever.

Funny & Stupid Customer Stories – Not Always Right » Fahrenheit 2011

Bookstore | New York, USA

Customer: “That boy is sitting at the corner over there reading your book!”

Me: “I’m sorry, ma’am. Is he bothering you in any way?”

Customer: “No, but he is reading a book that he has not paid for yet. He’s like, almost halfway done!”

Me: “That’s okay, ma’am. We allow our customers to come and read our books here.”

Customer: “Why the h*** do you let people do that?”

Me: “Well, sometimes people want to see if they like how the book is written before spending money on it.”

Customer: “Yeah? Well, poor people shouldn’t be allowed to read!”

“Yeah? Well, poor people shouldn’t be allowed to read!”

No need to worry! Looking at statistics, most Americans probably can't or simply won't anyway.

Bad for me though, considering I am one of the folks hoping to make people read his produce.

Beers & Nooks?

Bookmark & ale pitstop?

The drink in & check out?

The possibilities are endless....

Back