• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

BOTM Themes & Suggestions

Polly Parrot

Staff member
Fresh start with a new thread I thought.

If you have any suggestions about the running of BOTM, its themes, or anything else BOTM you can post so here. If you don't want to post for all to see or you're a generally shy sort of internet person, feel free to send me a PM.

I updated the About Book of the Month thread so all books discussed can be found there. :)

I would like to send you two; Benjamin Disraeli and Edward Heath!

Care to elaborate on why?

Also: this thread is meant for suggestions on how BOTM is run, what themes to pick, etc, not so much for book suggestions as those can be done in the suggestions threads for each month.

Hi Polly,
Random thought: How about a Manga one month?

Nother random thought: How about cycling through the book-related categories that BAR already has, one per month (active categories that is). Using a list of known categories might help organize suggestions/reading well in advance.

Yet another: Perhaps run a multi-choice poll on categories to check their popularity.

Just thoughts. Hopefully to stimulate other thoughts.

Best wishes
Peder
:)

Last edited:
I like the idea of the theme being a different genre each month. I tend to stick to the same one or two genres (mostly popular general fiction), and when I really enjoy a book I also have a habit of buying that authors entire back catalog so I would love to branch out a bit more. This seems like a good way of doing it.

May I suggest that Book of the Month be retitled to Yarn of the Month.
Or could I run Yarn of the Month independantly of the feature please?
The reason I wish to do this is that I can think of masses of material that would take less time to read and would be more likely to be read by a greater number of members.
In the age of visual entertainment people do not read as many novels and Yarn of the Month would be far easier to complete in the time limit.
I have some super ideas for Yarn of the Month and if I am allowed would wish to be at the helm so I can see the project through to useful fruition.

I'm not sure whether that'd be a viable option alongside the existing BOTM. Plus, the books read aren't usually as long and complicated as, say, War and Peace.

Then again maybe he means the opposite of the Google definition because a longer book would take longer to read, not less.

Maybe he means short stories or novellas?!

I'm not sure. We've had short stories up for discussion before and it's still perfectly fine to nominate one for BOTM.

May I suggest that Book of the Month be retitled to Yarn of the Month.
Conversely, you might still choose to join in BOTM for April. There is still plenty of time to read If on a Winter's Night a Traveler. There are many short stories in that one that can be digested one at a time in separate sittings.

Why are you recommending a book you've already read?

The whole point of BOTM is to read and to discuss, choose a book to read.
I actually think it's nice when at least one member of a reading group has previously read a book and can highly recommend it to the others. Then you have someone you can talk to at each point of the book as well - even if everyone else isn't caught up yet. :)

I actually think it's nice when at least one member of a reading group has previously read a book and can highly recommend it to the others. Then you have someone you can talk to at each point of the book as well - even if everyone else isn't caught up yet. :)

That's all very well but it doesn't require any personal investment.

That's all very well but it doesn't require any personal investment.

I disagree. Nine times out of ten at least a partial reread is necessary. That is if definite points are to be made, and quotes to back up said points. Of course that is in a good discussion.

It is fine for anyone to suggest anything they either want to read or have read already and think it's something everyone else should read as well. I don't see how either would be a problem.

Removed the three previous posts as they add nothing to the discussion.

Just tossing my two cents in here, but isn't it sort of irrelevant why a book is suggested? It's still been put on the table either way. I might suggest a book sometime because I've already read it and want to share it with the group. I may also suggest one that purely caught my eye and fits in with what I've seen the group read in the past.

I'm still establishing my roots on this forum, but I plan on being here and active as long as it's available. I love to read, I write myself, and I have someone dear to me that has books out. Do I hope they make the BOTM, sure! But I also can't wait to read whatever is selected each month.

Back