• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Brainwaves and stuff

No, you said "deja vu doesn't exist." I said "there is a theory." One is accurate (my statement) and one is inaccurate (yours).
I beg for your forgiveness, your highness.

What you describe is simply a result of boredom and monotony - has nothing at all to do with Deja Vu.

Cheers

Absolutely not. To say it is boredom is to read something else into it. How I feel at that moment (bored, or perhaps interested) is unclear. What I'm talking about is an almost-exact replication of a previous experience.

What if every one of those instances I find amusing and interesting? Nothing to do with boredom or monotony.

Okay, repetitiveness, then.

Still has nothing to do with brainwaves, although it could be categorised under the titular 'stuff'.

Martin said:
Okay, repetitiveness, then.

Still has nothing to do with brainwaves, although it could be categorised under the titular 'stuff'.

You're the one who introduced the topic of deja vu in this thread. I was wondering how you made that leap. I guess you posted it in here, despite thinking it is irrelevant? Wasn't my choice . . .

I'll try to refrain from commenting on your threads in the future.

Carry on, if you must.

Cheers

Martin said:
I'll try to refrain from commenting on your threads in the future.

Carry on, if you must.

Cheers

Why are you taking this so personally. It seems that my first mistake was responding to your ideas about deja vu, which was not a personal insult, I think.

My second was responding to your posts such as "isn't that what I said?" with honesty.

This is not a personal attack, Martin. If you read the thread you will see that I was just following your lead, and this is where it led.

Saying things to me like:
"still has nothing to do with brainwaves"
and
"I beg your forgiveness, your highness" set the tone here.

I didn't take those as personal attacks--perhaps I should have? I don't know why you are responding to me with such hostility throughout this thread, which was perfectly friendly until you decided to become aggressive.

Did I really deserve the comment: "That's what I said, right?" Why did you write that to me? How did you expect me to respond? And the rest followed from there.

Whoa, take a joke.

I'm not at all being aggressive. The 'That's what I said' remark originated in the fact that I thought you and I were saying the exact same thing. It turned out we weren't; you were accurate, and I was inaccurate.

Nothing I said was said out of malice. I don't offend easily, and I'm not an aggressive person. I do think, however, that I might have to resort to smileys.

Cheers

Forgive and forget then? (Unless of course I get deja vu and am forced to replicate the unsavory past.) :)

Deja Vu doesn't .. ah, you know what, never mind.

Forget what? :) (God, that made my teeth hurt - this is gonna take quite some getting used to.)

So, brainwaves, eh? My girlfriend is convinced I can read her mind. I can't, of course, I just know her through and through. I'm not telling her that, though.

Cheers

As a kid, I was convinced that if I tried enough it would eventually work, but it didn't. What about all those black and white films that they claim are from government labs with people moving things in glass jars? I used to watch "Hard Copy" and "A Current Affair", those late afternoon "news" programs, when I would get home from school. Is there any proof out there that governements have tested psychic abilities? I think those shows always said that the US and Russia did, and recently, a coworker of mine from China said that China had supposedly done testing. Anybody know if there is any truth to any of that?

RitalinKid said:
Is there any proof out there that governements have tested psychic abilities? I think those shows always said that the US and Russia did, and recently, a coworker of mine from China said that China had supposedly done testing. Anybody know if there is any truth to any of that?

Yeah, as a matter of fact a couple of weeks ago I posted about a new book called The Man Who Stared at Goats, written by a British journalist who investigated all kinds of real US government projects in psychic and psychological phenomena.

Think it's in the nonfiction section of this site. The book just came out and is getting very good reviews and is supposed to be accurate and thorough.

Here, I found the thread:

http://forums.thebookforum.com/showthread.php?t=5620&highlight=goats

came across an article....

He found that one half of a couple who have a strong emotional connection - lovers or parent and child - can tell when something is happening to their other half although both are in separate rooms and cannot hear or see each other.
Dr Fenwick hooked the couples up to EEG machines,which measure brainwaves,and at intervals played a sound to one of them.

"We found a definite response in the brainwaves of the other half of the couple a few seconds afterwards,but the effect only happened with people who were close," he says.

you might find more in here

Based on my personal experience, I think deja vu can be predictive. That would belong to another thread however.

Geez, guys. It's no wonder why Vonnegut and people like him are such pessimists. Governments are in the early stages of developing mind control. To make this surreal story complete, we just need to find out that something like the movie Unbreakable is happening out there, mainly because we're going to need someone to save us all.

I'm a skeptic, but I keep an open mind to the possibility that things are happening we can't start to explain. I was told by one of my company's physicists the other day that he had seen an experiment where a pair of electrons had been isolated and then separated from each other. Electrons come in pairs with opposite directions of rotation, and these guys wanted to change the spin on only one of the electrons. They couldn't do it. They both changed despite the fact that they were separated, and only one of them was subjected to the electromagnetic field that caused the reversal of spin. They don't have an explanation yet. Is there a fourth dimension? Another plane? Possibly. I'm a hopeful skeptic.

ADDITION: Yeah, I just read that article, WaterCrystal. That statement at the beginning about the electrons influencing each other over great distances is what my friend, the physicist, was talking about.

Kookamoor said:
"I've had some sort of dejavu before - when I've expereinced something and I've dreamt it before."

Thank you Kookamoor, you're so right!

Martin - you clearly don't remember your dreams.

I've kept a dream diary on and off because I always have the weirdest dreams. Looking back I realise a couple of them have predicted the future, just by their symbolism, others exactly as it happened in the dream. For example when I was about 13 I had a dream that i was at school in our cookery classroom only we weren't cooking we were all sitting in a circle watching TV. Suddenly our cookery teacher walked in and said "have you finished watching the Jarvis Cocker interview, d'you want to watch something else now?". I remember lying in bed thinking how funny that dream was cos our teacher was quite strict and I couldn't imagine her ever saying that! A few weeks later it was Christmas and the last day of term we were just messing around in all our lessons. I was in a textiles class when our teacher told us we were joining the class next door (cookery). It turned out our cookery teacher was a big Pulp fan(!) and had videoed some interview the night before. So we watched it while she left the room. It was quite short and she was still out the room when it finished so we just watched Neighbours instead. Then she came back in and said that exact same line, I swear! It really freaked me out! There's been other examples as well but thats probably the best one - I have written proof, and there was at least a two week gap between the dream and it happening so don't tell me it was just a momentary interruption of the brain!!! :eek:

Have you ever wanted something across the room, but can't be arsed to move so you try and move it with your mind? No? Just me and that guy from the OC then.

It's commonly believed that twins are more sensitive to telepathy. I can refute that right now. Me and my brother often finish each others sentences. Or we'll say something like

: Hey, you know that guy?
: what, The guy we bumped into 2 years ago outside a Burger King?'
: Yeah thats the one. Wait, how the f**k did you know that?

Well, i've come up with a theory about this. It's not telepathy, it just that we're basically, genetically, the same mind, so whatever sets my mind off on a particular track, something really obscure, like say; a siren outside conjures an image of a policeman, and on to chief Wiggum, the Pulp Fiction spoof, on to Burger King 'Royale with cheese', to that guy we bumped into, it will set off the eact same repsonse as him.

And that's magic

Evil Homer said:
It's commonly believed that twins are more sensitive to telepathy. I can refute that right now. Me and my brother often finish each others sentences. Or we'll say something like

wait i am confused. are you a twin? did you mean to use refute which means prove wrong with an argument or evidence? or are you saying that twins ARE more sensitive to telepathy?

in any case, i am not a twin, but i am really close with my sister and we do shit like that all the time. drives people nuts because they haven't the foggiest what the hell we are talking about. i don't know if i would call that brainwave activity. or brain activity for that matter. :rolleyes:

You just think alike; that's naturally, you're siblings. It's still a long way away from telepathy.

<insert excrutiating smiley here>

Cheers

First of all, Martin, why are you so against (Sorry, can't find the right word) this brainwave activity and deja vu? Are you being paid by a bunch of scientists who are doing some research to diprove these things? ( Look! A smiley ----> :) )

Talking about deja vu, its happened with me many a times! And its not just a feeling of 'I have been in this situation before', sometimes I even predict whats going to happen next. One particular incident is -- I was with my cousins, killing time, gossiping away. Suddenly, I had this feeling that I was in this room before with the same group of cousins. And at that moment I predicted that my neice is going to fall down and cry and voila - it happened! How do you explain this as brain misfiring? How can my brain convey something to me which it doesnt know because it hasn't happened yet!

Brain wave activity? I dont know if this can be called one. Out here, there is a theory that if you get hiccups, it means that somebody is remembering you. And if you take that person's name, the hiccups will stop. Crazy, I know! I decided to test this theory and whenever I got hiccups, I recalled all the people's name I know and the hiccups would stop after some person's name. I used to call up that person and 90% of the time the theory proved right. Later, I got bored of this testing business and I quit. Funny, huh?

we have one similar about your ears burning and i think there is also one about itchy noses.
i really don't put much stock in brainwaves . i do believe in intuition, but i think that is your mind doing a quick search of previous experiences and going hmmm, "you should try this". i don't think your mind can predict the future, i think it can predict the odds.
and i agree with martin that shared thoughts or finishing sentences, has much more to do with proximity than with anything telepathic. as i mentioned laurie and i are close.
and coincidences are more ubiquitous than one might think. so many things can trigger memories, smell,weather, seasons, songs. you may have been thinking of a long lost friend and contact them, and discover they have been thinking of you, but likely you both have shared memories of say, spring, or of a musician who is now touring. this likely triggered the thoughts, not anything being transmitted out into the atmosphere.
and when we are asked to send good thoughts out to someone, well thought breeds action, and that persons situation may improve simply due to someone going, well i will send good thoughts and 20$ or a casserole.

Back