• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Brief intro..

jleigh23

Hello, everyone! I've been a book fanatic since as early as I can remember-- one of my favorite authors as a child was Betty MacDonald, who authored the Mrs. Piggle Wiggle series (if you have never had the pleasure of reading one of these, go out and buy one!). My all-time favorite book so far is A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, by Betty Lee Smith. I'm trying to taste the flavor of new authors these days, reading from several genres. I like mostly fiction, some mystery, and some nonfiction, depending on the subject. I just finished reading The Godmother, by Carrie Adams, and loved her writing style. I'm now reading God's Middle Finger-- Into the Lawless Heart of the Sierra Madre, written by Richard Grant. It's a travel memoir of the author's adventures in Mexico's Sierra Madre Occidental.

I am originally from VA and just moved to Colorado-- I love it here! I'm game for any book/author recommendations and am currently trying to write a book about my dog-- long story-- you'll have to read it!

Happy new year!

Welcome to the forum:)

I recently bought The Almost Moon by Sebold,have you read it?

Welcome to the forum:)

I recently bought The Almost Moon by Sebold,have you read it?
No, I haven't, but so far I really enjoy Sebold's writing style, so I might just have to pick it up! What is The Almost Moon about? Have you read Lucky?

This is her first book I picked up,here is a summary:

Plot Summary-The Almost Moon
For years, Helen Knightly has given her life to others: to her mother, to her father, to her husband and now-grown daughters. When she murders her mother, her life changes.

The novel begins with Helen's murder of her elderly mother, Clair. Clair, a former lingerie Model, suffers from an undisclosed mental illness (of which agoraphobia is a symptom), that only intensifies at the onset of old age and dementia. Over the following twenty-four hours, Helen enlists the help of her ex-husband Jake (who becomes an unwilling accessory to her crime), begins a sexual relationship with her best friend's son, while on the run from the police. Present day events are interspersed with recollections of Helen's childhood, and her often traumatic relationship with Clair....

Back