• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Britain's Best Sitcom

headpodd

Anyone catch this on Saturday night?

I am scandalised that the Vicar of Dibley came third - beating Fawlty Towers and Dad's Army to name but two.

Fawlty Towers at number four - what was that about? Who was voting?

No surprise that Only Fools and Horses came first - it was my second favourite after Fawlty Towers.

Blackadder, for me, should have won. I've never really liked Only Fools & Horses; it's certainly better than The Vicar of Dibley. How they got that modern piece of crap into a Top Ten, I'd love to know.

I like the VoD, it's funny. Don't really like Fools and Horses. Fawlty towers is quite good and Blackadder is ace.

I did think Only Fools and Horses would win, but I don't think it is that good. There are a lot of good episodes but it has been drawn out too much. If only they had stopped with the Batman and Robin episode, that was utter brilliance to watch.

For me it was a close call between Fawlty Towers and Blackadder. I think I'd give Fawlty towers the edge as ever single episode of that was nigh on perfect, whereas there are the odd forgettable episodes of Blackadder.

As for The Vicar of Dibley, it's okay, but I would much rather have seen Father Ted in there.

I was just pleased The Vicar of Dibley didn't win, but I think Fools and Horses is vastly over-rated. It was a big mistake to continue after they became millionaires. I love Fawlty Towers, but for pure, consistent brilliance over many series it has to be Blackadder! I was very annoyed that Porridge didn't do better; it seems to be criminally under-rated. Hasn't anyone seen it? Every line is hilarious, every performance brilliant, especially Ronnie Barker and Fulton McKay. It even has brilliant sight gags. A true classic of comedy! Please, someone else tell me they like it! :)

My fiancee bought me the complete four series of Blackadder on DVD a coupla years ago and to my shame i still havnt watched much of it - but it is brilliant and my second favorite sitcom behind Spaced :)

Phil

Martin said:
Hey! Smegheads!

How far did Red Dwarf get?

Cheers, Martin :D

Red Dwarf got 18th.

Personally I was surprised that Father Ted wasn't in the top ten... although 11th place wasnt too bad. I really wanted either Vicar of Dibley of Fawlty Towers to win.

Martin said:
18?

Smeg!

Cheers, Martin :D

I know what you mean :D , Red Dwarf should have gotten closer to the top 10. Anyways... I, the sad person I am, wrote down who got what position. So if anyones wondering what got what ask me :D

Hmph, just goes to show some people (okay, the population of the UK) just dont have good taste!!

Phil :(

Halo said:
Please, someone else tell me they like it! :)

I love this sitcom too. I think the main reason it was so good was the fact that it had Ronnie Barker in it - a true comedy genius.

Back