• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

British Imperialism

Don't know of one off hand, but I reckon you should choose a book that is very open in it's views as you've already decided the british empire was a bad thing.

At least we are able to converse though :)

You might try the rise and fall of the great powers, more of a look at a lot of empires starting with the Hazburgs in Europe (spelling?) I think, been ages since I read it.

Noam Chomsky has written a few books on imperialism in general but I don't know any titles that deal specifically with British imperialism - although I'm sure there are loads. If you want to create a balance with the other side of the argument I seem to remember Niall Ferguson published a book a couple of years ago highlighting what he saw as the benefits of the British empire. Can't remember what it was called though.

one good book

i've realised this is probably a wind up merchant but questions need to be answered.

well Niall Ferguson's book is called "empire" it tells the history of british imperialism. however it mainly deals with how the empire was a unifying force throughout the world, how it abolished slavery even though it stood to lose the most, how it sacrificed itself in the second world war to destroy a really evil empire, though in doing so got itself in to debt with a sibling empire which can't handle the responsibility. Actually the "chaos" as you put it was caused by the US forcing the empire to grant independance to countries before a new system of government was properly phased in, the problems in the middle east were largely caused at this time.

it's good reading because it tells the truth of an often misinterpreted myth.

Rule Britannia - Huzzah

ksky

sorry but i'm fed up with British imperialism getting a bad rap, especially from a propoganda driven Hollywood

Yes, you are right, I think. The British Empire was very interesting. They REALLY believed that they were helping people and in many cases they were. They did do a lot of good. They did some bad, of coarse, but then who does not? And before anybody accuse me of being biased... I hate this damn country lol

If you want to know some more about this interesting time period then look here Victorian Britain For a brief overview.

Regards
SillyWabbit

"They Did do some bad but who didnt"?

I think the Slave trade, Kashmir and the Palestinian situation was a bit more than a naughty little error. :mad:

True :) but you have to look at the good they did. It's all about balance. The brought law, peace, technology and order to much of the world. What about the industrial revolution? What about panama canal? They did a LOT of good. They had their faults for sure. They did bad stuff, that's not even debatable! But you have to look at it in balance of the whole picture. I challange you to pick ANY country that has had power and show me that they were ALL good ALL the time. You can point out the bad things that almost every single country on the face of the planet has done. So, yes, they did some bad things but they also did a lot of good. As empire goes they were very benign. Roman empire anybody? What about the Ottoman empire, about 200 years of total all our non-stop war.

Regards
SillyWabbit

lot of first time posters today or simply anon?

er.. britain didn't start the slave trade but infact did more than any other nation to stop it. Though ofcourse that is the sort of information they hide in books.

kskyhappy

i'm with ya wabbit but didn't the french start the panama canal and the americans finished it?

Yes, and also take India. They wanted their independence. Britain had a vision of taking countries and getting their up to their "standards" and then giving them the right to rule themselfs. Now, India wanted out early. they wanted it NOW. ANY OTHER empire would have reacted by SHOOTING everybody. But Britain said, ok yes we will draw you up a time table for independence.

Regards
SillyWabbit

PS: Welcome to the boards SoulTwin and like the name :D

"Are you the peoples front of Judea"

What about America as an empire or China, your thoughts on these please, and Hello all Im a newbie to the board, Like Music, Reading and more music.

Welcome :)

You might want to head over to the Members' Introductions part of the forum and introduce yourself there!

China and America? JESUS CRIST ( onna stick ) !!! that's a big subject!

I think America IS an empire but an ecnomic and political empire. China? I'm not sure you could call China an empire but it is a very powerful country and set to become more so. China has been THE most powerful country thoughout history. In fact Europe only came into it's own in the last few hundred years. Before that, the powerful states were all eastern.

Regards
SillyWabbit

i presume we're talking about the states, i think the USA is still cutting it's teeth as an empire, whether or not it recognises the fact it is one is another matter. how it deals with it's larger responsibilty to the world remains to be seen, it's first attempts have been a bit of a mess.

China - been going for a while, but under the communist regime it's had to change it's approach. the interesting thing about china is it's disinterest in foreign policy and it's ability to stand up to the US, how it uses it's veto is also interesting - big economic power for the future, will bankrupt japan eventually. but in order to do so will, and has, sacrificed it's history.

er.. does this come under the forbidden politics section?

ksky

OK! Ill do it!

Here's a pic of a singing hamster!!!!

hamster.jpg

Regards
SillyWabbit

Back