• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

buying books from amazon or anyother online bookstore?!!

xBasx

ahlan [hi in arabic :) ]

I want to ask about online books shopping. coz in Saudi arabia, I can't find all books I want to.
but the thought of giving my credit card number online is kinda frightening :confused:

is there anyone who had the experience of online shopping from amazon that can help me.

thanks alot

Generally speaking: as long as you go for the big sites (Amazon being, of course, the biggest) shopping with your credit card online is a lot safer than, say, handing your credit card over to a waiter in a restaurant.

I've bought from Amazon.

It's simple, easy, and as safe as can be. That's their business. If they can't make ca-billions of safe transactions on a daily basis, they won't have a business.

Beer Good also makes a very valid point.

Hi xBasx,

I would recommend Amazon too. All your credit card details are safely encrypted. They also offer a good range of stock, not bad prices and fast delivery. I have found them to be very reliable.

the thought of giving my credit card number online is kinda frightening

When you've done this once, it does (unfortunately) get easier! :D

thanks alotttt guys

I think my money will be spend faster than usual once I start online book shopping lolz .. that's another concern of mine about online shopping. coz it's easier than actually going to the book store

Keep a seperate credit card with a very low credit limit on it, for on line shopping.

Although Amazon is generally good, one point to watch is that if you do have a problem it is very hard to contact them other than by e-mail and sometimes you do need to speak to people to try and resolve an issue. I was over charged and could not get a refund.

chris! that's a great idea.
I can do that and perevent losing money online, plus it's a way to minimize the amount spent on books. thus I won't be broke in a very short while

thank you VERY MUCHHH

chris302116 said:
one point to watch is that if you do have a problem it is very hard to contact them other than by e-mail and sometimes you do need to speak to people to try and resolve an issue. I was over charged and could not get a refund.

I can't say that I've ever had a problem with them. The only annoyance that I ever experienced was dealing with buying a used/reduced rate book from a dealer through amazon. It takes forever to get a book through that route. I'd rather pay the full price than wait two to three weeks for a book that should arrive in one week.

I don't think if I started shopping from amazon that I'd get used books.
maybe if they are rare or something like that

The thing about the used books is that they are rediculously cheap. Like a dollar or two. You have to watch though, because these used books are supplied by third parties - in other words, NOT Amazon itself but other smaller companies who will then charge you shipping costs. So if you stick to new AMAZON books, and if your order is over $25 they will throw in the shipping. BUT ONLY IF IT IS NOT THIRD PARTY!
You can tell because if it is Amazon it will usually say:
QUALIFIES FOR SUPER SAVER SHIPPING
or similar wording.
I love ordering from Amazon by the way. Never had a problem with credit card fraud. I even have a special Amazon credit card that they gave me for no fee and I just use that one when I order.
And most credit cards will protect you - if sombody unauthorized bangs your card you just call the company and tell them it was unauthorized and they'll usually credit you.

xBasx said:
Amazon credit card! does that come after buying alotf of items ??
No, it was an offer they had going on their site, where if you signed up for their card you would save like $30 on your first order. So I did. It's really a regular Chase Bank Visa Card - but it says amazon on it. I could really use it anywhere they accept visa cards, but I reserve this one for my amazon purchases. It's also in their database so I don't even have to enter the number or anything.
Those that have reassured you about credit card purchases are correct. It's much safer than any other method - for example if you send someone a check and they don't deliver what you ordered, you have no recourse. With a credit card you can always dispute a charge. Of course, you have to watch your statements to make sure you are not getting ripped off.

I buy most all of my books on Amazon, maybe 90% of all book purchases. I buy new but also used and often from third parties. I really prefer hardcover to soft and I get really good deals on used hard covers that way. I've experienced only the rare shipping delay and since my TBR pile is so large I rarely notice. I've also found shipping costs to be reasonable in most cases.

I still love to browse the book stores. I'm just too busy to go as often as I'd like.

Just got my recent order in today.:) I can't say enough about amazon. The packaging is A+ and I like the "wish list" option on their site where you can add books to a list to revist later. I bought a recent fictional work that I had saved months ago but forgot about. I just received it today and hope to start on it soon. Amazon just rocks.:cool:

Amazon all the way. Only one outside vendor gave a bit of a problem, and I shipped the book back (wrong edition), and Amazon refunded my purchase price and the shipping fees, And gave me a 5.00 dollar credit to cover my return shipping costs. Not too shabby. :)

I've ordered CD's from Amazon once, because the CD wasn't released in Europe yet. Fast and reliable delivery. Recommended.

Mostly I shop on www.play.com when I shope online. Have shopped over 30 items from them; books, DVDs, CD's. I use them because the ship for free to my country. Good prices, fast delivery and have been having all the items I've been looking for.

Play currently deliver all items excluding electronics and gadgets to the following countries.

* Andorra
* Austria
* Belgium
* Cyprus
* Denmark
* England
* Finland
* France
* Germany
* Gibraltar
* Greece
* Greenland
* Guernsey
* Iceland
* Ireland
* Italy
* Jersey
* Liechtenstein
* Luxembourg
* Malta
* Monaco
* Netherlands
* Northern Ireland
* Norway
* San Marino
* Scotland
* Spain
* Sweden
* Switzerland
* United Kingdom
* Vatican
* Wales

They don't ship to Saudi Arabia though:(

In the begining I had doubts about using my credit card online, but no it can get abit to hot from time to time. Have never had any bad experience with using credit card online so far, but I don't have much money on that card, just in sake.

guys!! you made me sooo excited about ordering a book.
I think I might buy my uni text books from amazon. aslo an old book that my friend HIGHLY recommended it to me, it's called "Roots"

thanks for all the advices and the other sites that you suggested

Good job doing the homework on where they ship to baddie. If I was you xBasx-I'd phone a place in turkey and have them ship you the book from one of their sources. Could be a possible way around it.

Back