• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

C.S. Lewis

The Screwtape Letters is a wonderful book. Its an amazing look of how every turn and through every moment of doing something positive, temptation is an action away and so is sin.

for example, making friends (positive :) ) but when lonely, cling and leech on them (sin/temptaion ~vanity/greed~ :mad: )

Great book :D

Has anyone read 'Shadowlands: The story of C.S.Lewis and Joy Davidson' by Brian Sibley? This is a very moving biography.

Screwtape Letters is one of my favorite books ever; I've read it... who knows how many times. And John Cleese reading it is perfect casting.

John Cleese?? The Screwtape Letters??

I've read the book and loved how thought-provoking and funny it is at the same time. John Cleese reading this would be perfect!! Thank you so much! Will definitely start scouting around for it now.

Yay! Something to look forward to this Christmas.

I love C.S. Lewis. I read the Chronicles of Narnia every year, even though I'm 24. I find his simple writing in the Chronicles so refreshing and honest.

I've also read The Screwtape Letters I thoroughly enjoyed it. Actually, my book club is reading it this month and I'm excited to get it out again.

CS Lewis is one of my favorite authors. as a child i loved the Chronicles of Narnia, and i still do, but i have discovered his other adult books and i enjoy them a lot! one of his best is 'Till We Have Faces'; some other i liked would be 'The Screwtape Letters', 'Mere Chistianity', and 'The Great Divorce.' im still exploring his books and finding out all he's written!

Thanks for the recommendation, jcsoblonde - I just finished Till We Have Faces and really enjoyed it. I didn't even know that Lewis had written something like this - he's so great. I have yet to read Mere Christianity and The Great Divorce but they're both on my TBR list.

your welcome!! :D i never knew about Till We Have Faces until recently...its not one of his well-known works, being over-shadowed by Mere Christianity and The Screwtape Letters, but i thought he gave it a cool twist. hope you like the others!

The only work I've read from C.S. Lewis is The Chronicles of Narnia, but it took me about five tries to complete the whole series. I enjoyed The Magician's Nephew as well as The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe, but I found it hard to get into the other books. Once I've finished them all though, I can look back and appreciate every word of every story.

Narnia is probably my favorite. But his nonfiction is consistently good; and if you haven't checked out his writings on literature, which are less well-known than his Christian writings, they're well worth looking at. Stuff like The Discarded Image and Studies in Words.

I sent my niece a copy of Prince Caspian. Anyone heard of it?, I guess its a major movie production.

Actually, his first book, a book of poetry, was published in his early 20s (i.e. 1919), before his conversion. It's called "Spirits in Bondage," and it's more pagan than atheistic.

I remember that I liked Perelandra but I haven't yet read the others in the Space Trilogy.
I couldn't really get into The Screwtape Letters; I might try reading it again.
I liked the Narnia series; some books I liked better than others. I'm glad I read the series as an adult; as a child, I may have been upset by the events in the last book.
To any Lewis fans who are interested in his early works, read Boxen. It is a collection of stories written by Lewis when he was 8 years old. The stories are fairly good for being written at such a young age and are illustrated by him also.

The Chronicles of Narnia is my absolute favorite book!

I started reading That Hideous Strength about 10 years ago and found it very dry reading.

Just checked out The Joyful Christian from the library on a whim. It appears to be a compilation of his writings on various aspects of Christianity. I'll be sure to post more later.:cool:

Back