• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

'Cabaret' and other musings...

I recently found a copy of george romero's martin on amazon. I'm using it as a model for the screenplay I'm writing, adapting the concept of a kid who appears to be a vampire according to the way the film is shot and people's perception of him, but whose outlook is so subjective to make the audience doubt if it's for real. however, the story itself isn't at all like martin. it's more along the lines of a slasher flic. no moral. no epiphany. no reason. just pure escapist hack-and-slash entertainment.

I have some vague recollection of having seen "Martin" at some point. It must have been long ago, but wasn't a conventional horror film -- more a study of alienation as much as anything. It was an odd film, if it's the one I'm thinking of. Is Martin played by a serious-looking young man with thick wavy hair and very intense brown eyes?

Irene Wilde

yes, you're thinking of john amplas.

aimg103.exs.cx_img103_8530_martin.jpg

he was also a producer on dawn of the dead and the doctor who gets shot in the head in day. I agree, martin is unlike most films, in an introspective kind of way. romero definitely has a unique method of story-telling.

let me drop some titles which hasnt been mentioned

enemy at the gates
darkcity
white cat, black cat (rumanian film i think)
last temptation of christ
best of enemies with david niven
day of the beast (spanish film)
cronos (mexican film)
la ley de herodes - herod's law (political comedy mexican film, dont know how good can be translated)
psycho
lola reent (german film)
interview with the vampire

And now to recklessly spin this thread in a high-speed, death-defying manner....back to its original topic!!! :D

Finally got to watch 'Cabaret' last night. This is such a good film on so many levels it's hard to count them all. The cinematography, with it's rich, saturated colors; the music, compelling, funny, sad, frightening; the juxtapositioning of the Brian/Sally story with the garishness of the Kit Kat Club and the increasingly omnious signs of the Nazis rise to power (especially since "Sally" in real-life was Paul Bowles, and therefore the relationship was much riskier than what is shown -- in fact watching the film and imagining Liza Minelli is a man throughout makes it a very interesting picture indeed) -- and Joel Gray -- spooky, sinister, joyous, funny -- what a marriage of actor to character!

Irene Wilde

I should do a set of mini-reviews like Martin but I'm lazy

Well, 10 off the top of my head:

• Casablanca
  • Shawshank Redemption
  • 12 Angry Men
  • Unforgiven
  • Usual Suspects
  • LA Confidential
  • American Beauty
  • Great Expectations (Lean's version)
  • Beauty and the Beast
  • City of God

Irene Wilde said:
Sally" in real-life was Paul Bowles, and therefore the relationship was much riskier than what is shown -- in fact watching the film and imagining Liza Minelli is a man throughout makes it a very interesting picture indeed.
Irene Wilde

Well actually Sally was based on Isherwood's friend Jean Ross although the name was taken from Paul Bowles (believe it or not the real life "Sally" was jealous of her privacy).
A lot of the incidents in the books and film that involve Sally actually involved Isherwood's boyfriends (Paul and then Heinz).

Aren't we being intellectual today?

bobbyburns said:
fight club was a little too cool for my taste.

It had a couple of funny scenes. The guy with tits, was great. The one when, Pitt, has on those yellow rubber gloves, was pretty good.

fluffy bunny said:
City of God

Word, like a mofo! City of God is da bomb-diggity-boo! Without a doubt it was the best film I saw last year and one of the best films I've ever can gwored.

Anyone seen 'House Of Flying Daggers'? It's directed by the same dude who did 'Hero'...It came out in Taiwan a few months ago...It's like a Monet painting mixed with some wack-ass kung-fu shizznit...check it out.

Peas.

Oh and if you haven't seen 'Spun' then you should get yourself a copy NOW.

Billy Oblivion said:
You don't already have enough? I thought that as you'd started sharing them with RaVeN you must already have a surplus. I know I've posted loads on the IH site. Here's a new one:

18480172.jpg

This is me on my 25th birthday (and 180 months).

Wow................................

watercrystal said:
Wow................................

Shhhhhh.....<*whispers*> you'll wake RaVeN and he'll start rambling his nonsense again.

But yes, it is a stunning waistcoat, isn't it? :)

Irene Wilde

Irene Wilde said:
Shhhhhh.....<*whispers*> you'll wake RaVeN and he'll start rambling his nonsense again.

I hope you have the good sense to teach your daughter not to poke bears. :p

RaVeN

Back