• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

'Cabaret' and other musings...

Films:
It’s A Wonderful Life.
The Railway Children.
Groundhog Day.
Brief Encounter.
Miracle On 34th Street.
A Star Is Born.
The Man Between.
Casablanca.
I Walked With A Zombie.
The Belles Of St Trinians.

Musicals:
The Wizard Of Oz.
Pinocchio.
A Clockwork Orange.
Cabaret.
New York, New York.
The Rocky Horror Picture Show.
Little Shop Of Horrors.
Calamity Jane.
Mary Poppins.
The Girl Can’t Help It.

I was going to put in the Battleship Potemkin but I thought that might strike people as being a bit pretentious so I put St Trinian's in instead.

bobbyburns said:
irene, do you have the criterion version? aimg71.exs.cx_img71_4300_strawdogs.jpg the second disc has the most wicked interview with sam peckinpah. the entire interview he's throwing this knife at a door and reflecting on his youth, which he spent overseas in the military, when he first saw prisoners being tortured with razor wire tied to their groins. it's sick, but you gotta see it. anyway, if you don't I'll mail you my copy, because they discontinued the criterion version ... fucked if I know why. it's priceless.

No, not the criterion version. (They do some wonderful stuff though, don't they?) This is a VHS that says "Collector's Edition" from 1998. Don't know when I'll get to seeing it, since I have to work my grown-up movie watching around my little one's schedule, but I'll get to it eventually.

Oh! And a question to Mr. Oblivion: Which version of "A Star is Born"? I believe there's about three running around, and possibly a fourth; very early, silent film said to have inspired the other three.

Irene Wilde

Irene Wilde said:
Oh! And a question to Mr. Oblivion: Which version of "A Star is Born"? I believe there's about three running around, and possibly a fourth; very early, silent film said to have inspired the other three.

Irene Wilde

The one with Judy Garland & James Mason of course!

That's what I thought, so why isn't it listed under "Musicals"?

James Mason dies well in films, doesn't he? :)

Irene Wilde

I was in two minds about which category to put it in but I came down on the side of classifying it as a drama with songs rather than a musical.

Are you picking on me?

Billy Oblivion said:
I was in two minds about which category to put it in but I came down on the side of classifying it as a drama with songs rather than a musical.

Are you picking on me?

I would never pick on you, Mr. O., just curious.

And I might get around to watching 'Cabaret' tonight, if I can stay awake after hectic weekend, otherwise it will have to wait until next weekend.

Damn! There's no one around to help me move from this chair! Someone give me a shove so I can get to the office!

Irene Wilde

Life is a cabaret old chum! Sorry, everytime I see this thread I'm whisked back in time to my school production. Prancing around the stage in fishnets, that's the life for me.

Freya: Hah! Now we demand to see the photographs!

Ms Wilde: I had a lovely time singing along to the soundtrack album yesterday. I can still hit all the high notes which imporessed me but probably underwhelmed my neighbours.

Billy Oblivion said:
Freya: Hah! Now we demand to see the photographs!
I'll be more than happy to, just as soon as you've produced those photos of you wearing that dress you were talking about...

Freya said:
I'll be more than happy to, just as soon as you've produced those photos of you wearing that dress you were talking about...

I'm sure I've told you before that it's not a dress. It's a perfectly ordinary, straightforward, pink leopard skim, man's fock. Frock not dress, geddit?

And I'm getting a computer next weekend so I'll be able to scan loads of lovely photographs of me and then I'll make everybody look at them and tell me how gorgeous I am. Be warned.

You should go and audition for Funny Girls. It'd involve you coming back Up North though, and you might end up frittering all your money away on gambling, and you won't be able to get a council house due to all the teenage mums, and whatever you do, don't go in the sea... but yeh. Audition. It would be fun.

Freya said:
You should go and audition for Funny Girls. It'd involve you coming back Up North though, and you might end up frittering all your money away on gambling, and you won't be able to get a council house due to all the teenage mums, and whatever you do, don't go in the sea... but yeh. Audition. It would be fun.

But I'm not a girl. I'm a man in my prime!

There's more than one??! I was under the impression they only had one in Blackpool. But yes, it is. I think you'd be perfect. I'll lend you my feather boa?

Having seen Tim Curry countless times in The Rocky Horror Picture Show, I think all men should wear eyeliner and feather boas! And if they aren't already 6 ft. 5 in. tall, platform shoes as well. :)

Irene Wilde

Freya said:
You should go and audition for Funny Girls.

May I suggest instead, Billy O, that you could try out for a small part in The Nutcracker Suite.......a very small part. :p

I like the epics, so my list would include:

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
Dances With Wolves
Braveheart
Gladiator
Journey to the Center of the Earth
Paint your Wagon
On Golden Pond
The Outlaw Josey Wales
Murder by Decree
Slap Shot

RaVeN