• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Can anyone reccomend some good dragon or gryphon books?

Ruzi

They are my two favorite myth creatures yet I have a difficult time finding many good books that show them as characters, rather then pets or monsters. I have read Song in the Silence and The Lesser Kindred by Elizabeth Kerner(both of which I loved) as well as the Mage War(gryphon) trilogy by Mercedes Lackey(I loved those too). I'm currently working on Mercedes Lackey's Joust and Alta, which feature dragons, but I would really enjoy getting my hands on more dragon and gryphon books that show them as main characters.
I scan the shelves at the book store when I go, but I have yet to notice anything that seems to fit what I'm looking for. Any suggested books would be much appriciated.

The Warcraft novels, The Day of the Dragon by Richard A. Kaak, Lord of the Clans by Christie Golden, and The Last Guardian by Jeff Grubb, have dragons and gryphons in them, and in Harry Turtledove's Darkness series, beginning with Into the Darkness, dragons are commonly used in wars. Anne McCaffrey's Dragon Riders of Pern also has lots of dragons in it

You could try 'The Last Dragonlord' by Joanne Bertin, and then 'Dragon and Phoenix'.

Also, James Clemens wit'ch series features a prominent dragon who is written well.

Katharine Kerr has a dragon in her second Deverry series, that starts with A Time in Exile.

I think I may have Dragon and Pheonix, though it has been a long while since I've read it and I haven't read the First one at all. I'll be sure to keep an eye out for it and the others you mentioned next time I'm book shopping. Thanks for the suggestions!

YES! I can, and it's called dragonsbane By barbara hambly

Synopsis
"It was said to be impossible to slay a dragon but Lord John Aversin earned himself the name of Dragonsbane and had become the subject of legend. Fired by the tale's romance, young Gareth travelled across the Winterland to persuade Aversin to rid the Deep of Ylferdun of the Black Dragon, Morkeleb."

This is REALLY a great book! REALLY! Trust me! It's one of the best fantasy books have read! Go girl! :)

You're welcome :)

Try it! Hope you like it! I thought the characters were very realistic. The dragon slayer is not your typical muscle bound hero. He is an intelligent guy that works out that Dragons have certain weak points. He is a very thoughtful and interesting character. He lives with a witch ( his sorta gf ) who is also a very interesting character. The story kinda builds up slowly to the battle with the dragon. I loved the way they wrote the dragon too. She is not just some monster. She is VERY old, powerful and intelligent creature.
l
I have read this book three or four times. It's great! :)

Sold. If I can find it, I'll get it. Once I finish I'll let you know what I thought but it sounds good.

snake0024 said:
Anne McCaffrey's Dragon Riders of Pern also has lots of dragons in it

I'll second the Dragonrider's series recommendation. Not dragons as they're typically featured, but they are on equal status with humans. They can communicate via telepathy with the human to which they are bonded. The series is wonderful.

id have to reccomend "The Last Dragonlord" you could read Eragon, but you can really tell its by a novice! not to mention the fact that its nothing new, its an immature version of a dash of Eddings, a pinch of Ursula, and a dab of creativity- nothin new as i said o yes i forgot about dragonriders of pern, they are excellent!

Back