• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Can we create our own reality?

I'm not big on dichotomies. But those who have been in discussions with me know that I have a Christian faith. How that came to be, and what my beliefs are in detail, are for discussion in other more appropriate venues than this one. :flowers:

Yes, you are right, thank you for clarification. :flowers:

Robert said:
What we will probably find out is that every one of you are characters in a drama created by my subconscious. When I die, you will all cease to exist.
VestnikRA; said:
As far as I remember this kind of vision is related Kabbala teaching. Or not?
An episode from The Twilight Zone, perhaps? :whistling:

An episode from The Twilight Zone, perhaps? :whistling:

:lol:

No. There is a philosophical argument concerning the nature of reality that goes back a long way, but that class was a long time ago and I can't put a name to it.

I beleive there is nothing to argue about. Everyone if right from his point of view. And the Elefant of Truth is infinitly big so that we will never be able to perceive it all. :flowers:

Everyone if right from his point of view. :flowers:
I really can't accept that. There have been some very wrong things happen in this world, and continue to happen. That is one of the reasons that strengthens my faith -- to know that there is a Good that is opposed to what for me is undeniable Evil.

What a great parable.

I think it would be a little far fetched to suggest that we create our own reality, though i do believe that our mindset can heavily influence our lives. Gilgamesh used the example of Willy Loman in the Death of a Salesman. His refusal to face the truth of his situation was reflective, perhaps, of a weakness of character. He sought to shield himself from the harsh realities of his life, in order remove any pain or sense of failure. Sometimes its important to see things as they are, which will mean taking a few hits. Having said this, however, a positive attitude can always aid in most, if not all, of life’s situations, you just need to make sure you don’t become ignorant of facts.

haha thats my take on it anyway.

I really can't accept that. There have been some very wrong things happen in this world, and continue to happen. That is one of the reasons that strengthens my faith -- to know that there is a Good that is opposed to what for me is undeniable Evil.

Man can make both Good or Evil, creation or destruction, it is the matter of personal choice. There is no absolute Good as well as there is no absolute Evil. Every Light contains a grain of Dark as well as every Dark contains a grain a Light. Remember the Tao sign? :innocent:

Well, Vestnik, then we differ absolutely, and we differ in absolute terms. I would say that this world has in fact seen absolute evil.

It has been seen, without even the slightest possibility of the slightest grain of good, in the Holocaust. In my way of looking at things there is nothing relative or partial about that. At all.

Or maybe the younger generation has not seen it, but I have seen it, and my statement stands.

Man can make both Good or Evil, creation or destruction, it is the matter of personal choice. There is no absolute Good as well as there is no absolute Evil. Every Light contains a grain of Dark as well as every Dark contains a grain a Light. Remember the Tao sign? :innocent:

Yin Yang does not mean there is no absolute good or evil. Its a symbol of universal unity between opposits.

There is absolue evil, and it's actions are typically justified using the perspective argument.

Truth is not always understood, but it must be universal.

Is talk of Good and Evil a little too black and white? Surely we don't choose to be evil or good depending on the situation. Most of the time we don't even think about it, we just do what we feel is right at the time, or what will benefit us the most. I suppose in this way I don't feel we have complete mastery of our lives, considering we could easily choose to do something good that later turns out catastrophic to the whole scheme of things. We cannot entirely control our situations, nor can we control completely the effect of our actions.

I don't think the point is to do Good versus Evil or work to master our lives, or our reality. Really, we should accept what happens and accept that we do have power to change, but certain things in life we cannot master. Letting go a little to the restraints of life and coincidence (or fate, depending on how you look at it), help us better forge a sensible reality. Convincing ourselves that we can completely master our own realities is, in a way, a delusion. The reality is that we do not have complete power, but that is not to say that we don't have any - we still must be held accountable for our actions and their effects (usually), but we cannot delude ourselves with the fake reality of our total power (as in sources like The Secret). While we should accept that the mind is a powerful tool, it can't stop disease just by wishing it so.

That was long! I apologize. But a very interesting topic requires more time to interpret :)

Well, Vestnik, then we differ absolutely, and we differ in absolute terms. I would say that this world has in fact seen absolute evil.

It has been seen, without even the slightest possibility of the slightest grain of good, in the Holocaust. In my way of looking at things there is nothing relative or partial about that. At all.

Or maybe the younger generation has not seen it, but I have seen it, and my statement stands.

Peder, you are right, my generation have never seen Holocaust (only in old documentaries), but I understand your point. Yet, I have my own experience which makes me stand on what I am saying.
Anyway it is good that we are different. If all people look in the same direction the world would be boring! :flowers:

Yin Yang does not mean there is no absolute good or evil. Its a symbol of universal unity between opposits.

There is absolue evil, and it's actions are typically justified using the perspective argument.

Truth is not always understood, but it must be universal.

Any old symbol bears a very deep meaning. This refers to Tao sign as well as to Swastika (which means Kolo (circle, sun) in Vedic tradition) and many others.
The Universal Truth is the only one but may be seen from different directions by different people. :flowers:

Evil and good? I'm not sure about these terms, to me at least, they seem kind of irrelevant and perhaps a little outdated. I don’t believe in a greater power that motivates people to behave in the way that they do, human behaviour is a direct result of your own choice. In my belief there are no 'evil' people, dare I say even Hitler wasn't evil, he truly believed what he was doing was the right thing. Granted there are those who commit malicious acts in full knowledge of their immorality, I still don’t deem them evil, more likely deviant. Our definitions of what is and isn’t wrong, are constantly shifting and I don’t think its right to judge someone as being good or evil, I believe it denotes a sense of superiority. Just remember that any twist of fate can render our views, which are complete social constructs, defunct. Again to use Hitler as an example, if Germany had succeeded in winning the war perhaps his actions wouldn’t have been viewed as horrific, but rather honourable. Just like to throw in the fact that I’m not a Nazi sympathiser haha Hitlers personage just sprang to mind. Cheers for the welcome Peder.

You're welcome Duncan.

I am left groping for appropriate words to say in response to yourself and Vestnik and, though there is no shortage, I am coming up short. I hope my own thoughts have been presented with the crystal clarity of your own statements of your own positions. If so I have nothing to add, except perhaps to say as politely as I can, in order to avoid misunderstanding, that I remain unconvinced.

I don't think the point is to do Good versus Evil or work to master our lives, or our reality. Really, we should accept what happens and accept that we do have power to change, but certain things in life we cannot master. Letting go a little to the restraints of life and coincidence (or fate, depending on how you look at it), help us better forge a sensible reality. Convincing ourselves that we can completely master our own realities is, in a way, a delusion. The reality is that we do not have complete power, but that is not to say that we don't have any - we still must be held accountable for our actions and their effects (usually), but we cannot delude ourselves with the fake reality of our total power (as in sources like The Secret). While we should accept that the mind is a powerful tool, it can't stop disease just by wishing it so.

I believe that what we are now is the result of our own past thoughts, deeds and intentions. If we don't master our life than someone else do it for us, don't you agree?
Of course we can't change everything we want in a moment, it just takes time and your conscious efforts. If you can hold your attention on one particular thing for about half an hour without interrupting, you will get it very soon. Try it! :innocent:

Back