• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Carlos Ruiz Zafón

xyakks

I've just finished one of his books, The Shadow of the Wind, which is supposed to of been pretty big in spain. It was an excellent book.

Blurb
It is 1945 and Barcalona is enduring the long aftermath of civil war when Daniel Sempere's bookseller father decides his son is old enough to visit the secret Cemetery of Forgotten Books. There Daniel must 'adopt' a single book, promising to care for it and keep it alive always. His choice falls on The Shadow of the Wind.

I was also wondering if anyone else had read this book, or anything else by this author infact.

I read that book a few months back. It was a really great story and one of the best books I have read in a while. I felt the book was good all the way through (rather than dying out at the end). I passed it right on to my mom who kept begging me to tell her who the man with the cigarette was. She loved it too and has since passed it along again.

I didn't like the ending, it ruined everything for me. I found it to be a bit too cliché-ish.

"The Shadow of the Wind" got me instantly hooked, but somewhere in the middle of the book it lost me. It started out very promising but the second half coulnd't keep up to my expectations. Ah well, I heard a lot of different opinions, though.
Let us know what you think about it, Miss Shelf.

I just reserved this book at my library. Everyone keeps going on about it. It had better be worth the 50p I had to pay to reserve it. :)

Wabbit, move it up higher in your piles. :D :p It's worth to read. Last week I finished this book. It got me hooked from start to end. :D

This is one of the most hypnotizing, captivating books I have read in many years-and I have read a lot of books without feeling this way. I could hardly put it down, and I am in awe of the lyrical quality of it. :)

Miss Shelf said:
This is one of the most hypnotizing, captivating books I have read in many years-and I have read a lot of books without feeling this way. I could hardly put it down, and I am in awe of the lyrical quality of it. :)

Ditto on that :) I thought he was great story teller and would like to read more of his books. I saw a blurb that said he was the author of five books but then it only named Shadow of the Wind, has anyone read any others?

I don't think any of the others have been translated into English yet :( If you liked his book, try Arturo Perez Reverte, specifically The Club Dumas.

venusunfolding said:
I don't think any of the others have been translated into English yet :( If you liked his book, try Arturo Perez Reverte, specifically The Club Dumas.

I loved Club Dumas and they are very similiar. I just read the Flanders Panel and it was good, too.

Hello everybody.
I have just finished the wonderful The Shadow of the Wind and I was wondering if the little mistake (I think it’s a mistake) at the beginning of chapter 38 (page 300 by my italian version) is made by Zafon or by the translator to Italian.

The sentence is something like this:

The light blue smoke of the sigarette was veiling her face. Her dark carmine lips were shining, humid, and left traces like blood on the filter-tips that she held between forefinger and ring finger (anular).

I think it’s impossible to hold a cigarette between forefinger and ring finger, someone forgot the middle finger.
Is there someone who could please post the sentence in the English version, so to try to find out if the mistake is by Mr.Zafon, so it must be also in English, or by the italian translator?

Otherwise, is there someone with the original Spanish version?

Thanks a lot!

I think he wrote only one novel before The Shadow of the Wind, but I haven't read it, sorry.

No one can write me the sentence at the beginning of chapter 38?
The one concerning fingers holding cigarette?
Please....

:rolleyes:

Hello everybody.
I have just finished the wonderful The Shadow of the Wind and I was wondering if the little mistake (I think it’s a mistake) at the beginning of chapter 38 (page 300 by my italian version) is made by Zafon or by the translator to Italian.

The sentence is something like this:

The light blue smoke of the sigarette was veiling her face. Her dark carmine lips were shining, humid, and left traces like blood on the filter-tips that she held between forefinger and ring finger (anular).

I think it’s impossible to hold a cigarette between forefinger and ring finger, someone forgot the middle finger.
Is there someone who could please post the sentence in the English version, so to try to find out if the mistake is by Mr.Zafon, so it must be also in English, or by the italian translator?

Otherwise, is there someone with the original Spanish version?

Thanks a lot!

I don't really have an answer but I did look it up in my book.

My english translation says "she held between her index and ring fingers" (plural)

I don't really have an answer but I did look it up in my book.

My english translation says "she held between her index and ring fingers" (plural)

Thank you very much, Ronny! :)

So, it seems to be a Zafon mistake... I think it's quite impossible to hold a cigarette between index and ring finger, isn't it? :eek:

Back