• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Characters fiction could do without?

Violanthe

Who are the characters in fictional stories that, in your opinion, added nothing good to the rich world of literature? Whether they were one-dimensional, uninteresting, shallow duplicates or even offensive, which fictional folks could you do without?

I'm sure there's tons, but... see, the thing is, in order to list them, I'd have to remember them. If they stuck in my memory, then they obviously added something. If they don't "add anything good", then I probably won't be bothered.

I'm sure there's tons, but... see, the thing is, in order to list them, I'd have to remember them. If they stuck in my memory, then they obviously added something. If they don't "add anything good", then I probably won't be bothered.

Yes, there are the forgettable ones who are, naturally, forgotten.

Then there are the really irritating ones we wish we could forget.

Forgettable characters should be, well, forgotten. The ones that refuse to be forgotten, I would really rather not warm up.

My pet peeve is 'the token baddie' that are totally one dimensional. One that springs to mind isthe bad guy in Kate Mosse's Sepelchure (he must be forgettable, I can't even remember his name!)

He was a totally one sided character, we never got to know him as a person or find out what might have made him so evil and vindictive.

Mind you, that whole book was pretty poor, so I shouldn't have expected any better.

The supergood Protagonist

I'v grown tired of these guys. They Jack Ryans of the world that can do no wrong, are always ultra-good, and the perfect embodiment of manliness. I prefer protagonists with some edge and dirt in their soul. For example, Stephen King's Gunslinger Roland.

Back