• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Charles Bukowski

Yaw Ince

Saddened not to see this genius on these boards already...

... hurl into the bin all this Dan Brown doggerel! Drag yourselves from the gutter of literacy you cretins and emerse yourself in Buckowski.

Except Women - that one is a little bit boring. ;)

Well if you do a search and spell his name correctly (its Bukowski not Buckowski) you would see that he is mentioned in a lot of threads.

While i like Bukowski i personally think he is pretty much writing the same book over and over, so i get a bit bored with him.

Charles Bukowski is a genius - I presume that's who you mean?

No - his books are not the the same as each other at all!:mad:

The only one I wasn't too keen on is 'Women'. Nothing can possibly appeal to everyone, but I don't understand why he isn't read more here in the UK.

His name makes it sound as if his books will be a bit arty farty. They are anything but :) :)

Funny, clever, with a deep meaning and written in everyday layman's English.

Charles Bukowski flows. His style is so smooth and written in everyday language.

There is definitely deepness in his writing intertwined with tons of comedy.

I really enjoy reading Bukowski material. I love how he is brutally honest and portrays the male very precisely.

What are some of your favorite Bukowski books?

Favourite Bukowski books, Factotum - Post Office - Ham on Rye - Pulp - South of no North.

Short story collections - Tales of Ordinary Madness.

'Betting on the Muse' - That's my fav. of all of them. Stories and poems.

I love them all really, except Women.

I thought Women was great. I find his writing to be reminiscent of Henry Miller's, with more raunch thrown in. He's one of the few poets I like as well.

Just finished Post Office and now onto South of no North

What I love most about Bukowski is how he doesnt really explain anything; he simply describes it. He can describe a situation or occurrence very precisely which in turn stimulates ur mind to actually think or envision his words.

Post Office was a great light read. Very funny and fluid. The book always had me entertained.

Not a chance.:D

Barfly was pretty bad. Crazy Love was good, but didn't make it into the English language.

i disagree

apperently cannes loved the film. and i heard the Soundtrack kicks butt too- kristin asbjornsen (jazz artist from norway) put some of mr. b's lyrics to music and she has her own myspace for it:

www.myspace.com/factotumsoundtrack

NEWSFLASH_ ITS ALL IN ENGLISH!!!!!

just finished reading South of No North by Bukowski. Its a brilliant collection of short stories that delve into the lifestyle of Bukowski.

All stories are typical Bukowski; raw, ruggid, unbelievable, revolving around sex and alcohol.

My only problem with this is that it took me a while to finish. Since the whole book is short stories you can never get into the rhythm of a story. You start reading one and before you know it its over and youre already in the belly of the next one.

There were some that were great. Im talkin about really laughing out loud at certain dialogues.

If you are interested to get into Bukowski id recommend this but only as a book on the side juxtaposed with your main book. Read a story out of this from time to time as an interlude or a break from your other book.

Next up by Bukowski for me is:
The Captain is out to Lunch and the Sailors Have Taken Over the Ship

I would recommend that all Bukowski fans who only know his fiction should be sure to check out Screams from the Balcony (the first volume of Buk's collected letters) and Notes of a Dirty Old Man (a collection of newspaper columns he wrote).
In many ways, they contain writing that is more immediate, more lyrical, and more honest, than his fiction or poetry.

I've read notes of a dirty old man and found it to be 80% mind numbing pish and 20% brilliance, I guess it's the way allot of beats in my opinion ended up without any decent self editing ability. The snail scene is one of my favourites from literature <3 <3 <3

Ms. said:
I've read notes of a dirty old man and found it to be 80% mind numbing pish and 20% brilliance, I guess it's the way allot of beats in my opinion ended up without any decent self editing ability. The snail scene is one of my favourites from literature <3 <3 <3

I am deeply intrigued with the Beat generation.

What is the snail scene?

I've read notes of a dirty old man and found it to be 80% mind numbing pish and 20% brilliance, I guess it's the way allot of beats in my opinion ended up without any decent self editing ability. The snail scene is one of my favourites from literature

Ms., I may argue with the percentages, but there's no denying that Buk (and all of the other Beats that I've read) are very uneven in their output. I've always said of Bukowski that a lot of his writing isn't much to get excited about, but . . . when he is on, he turns out pure genius.
I'm afraid that I don't remember the snail scene you mention, but any man that can pen the phrase "Beware the sharp knives of their shopping carts." is a man after my own heart.

Although Bukowski is often linked with the beat writers, he wasn't one of them.

They were a group of friends who hung about Greenwich Village New York.
William Burroughs was from a very rich family and therefore very influential which attracted a lot of writers.:rolleyes:

Bukowski lived in Hollywood, quite apart from them. His writing is nothing like theirs.

He met some of them in his later life. Obviously, being a well-known writer, he met lots of other well-known writers and hanger's on.

It doesn't make him like them (use like in both ways).

Have any of you seen that recent documentary on him, Bukowski: Born into This? It's running on cable at the moment and I think I'm gonna have to check it out.

He met some of them in his later life. Obviously, being a well-known writer, he met lots of other well-known writers and hanger's on.

It doesn't make him like them (use like in both ways).

Quite right. In Notes of a Dirty Old Man (and other places) Buk discusses the Beats. He really didn't think much of any of them.

Back