• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Charles Bukowski

I caught the above documentary tonite. It was excellent, with a lot of filmed interviews from the 70's and 80's. They also interview ex wives, friends, and the guy who started Black Sparrow Press just so he could publish Bukowski. Highly recommended.

jaybe said:
He met some of them in his later life. Obviously, being a well-known writer, he met lots of other well-known writers and hanger's on.

It doesn't make him like them (use like in both ways).

Bukowski actually disliked almost all writers. He couldnt stand them. Never liked drinking or talking to them.

lenny nero said:
Have any of you seen that recent documentary on him, Bukowski: Born into This? It's running on cable at the moment and I think I'm gonna have to check it out.

Great documentary.

It was actually this documentary that sparked my interest in Bukowski. Ive read 3 of this books so far.

Really delves into his personal life. It shows his true character. What a guy!

I wonder if that docu's available to purchase? I'll look out for it over here, which channel's it on?

Check out the Factotum movie. It's true bukowski. The soundtrack is also great. The girl does puts music to 4 bukowski poems.

I was very disappointed with the film 'Factotum.'

It's one of favourite books of his and it missed completely. Sad.

I've got it on dvd. Illegal copy I think;)
Have a look on ebay, or you can buy mine - make me an offer.:)

I've leafed through Women. Mostly searching for the sex scenes. I liked the style and the way he handled the content. I hate to admit I had never heard of Bukowski before chancing upon that novel. Just one more author to add to the list...

I remember picking up a book of Bukowski's coz i was attracted to the cover (yes, i have silly moments like that...). I don't remember which it was but I do remember that I thought the poems were narcissistic, chauvinistic, crude and utterly boarish. So i put it back on the shelf and walked away. Funny thing was, I found myself thinking about the stupid book CONSTANTLY since picking it up that day. He has a way of making you stop to think about the concepts he puts across - with unabashed frankness. Maybe it's his candidness, or his lack of reserve. Whatever it is, I've been intrigued by him ever since.

However, I have yet to get any of his works because I have told myself that I will only get one and everytime I head to the bookstore to resample his works, I can't decide between them.

Thus, I was wondering if anyone could suggest which one I should get. Sort of like the definitive Bukowski to proudly display on the bookshelves.:)

For prose, I would recommend Post Office.
For poetry, I would recommend Love is a Dog from Hell.
For anything else, I would recommend Screams from the Balcony.

Fantastic, thanks funes! Will head to the bookstore and to have a look at Love is a Dog from Hell again...

Thus, I was wondering if anyone could suggest which one I should get. Sort of like the definitive Bukowski to proudly display on the bookshelves.:)

That's a very pretentious statement!:(

I don't think you'd 'get' Bukowski with this attitude.

However, I recommend 'Betting on the Muse.' It's nice and thick, so you'll like that.;) :D

it's a mixture of poems and short stories. Check out the poem which begins 'there are no strong men,' the short stories 'suicide' and 'whatever happened to the girl in the gingham dress.'

Definitely read some of shorts first, to find out if you like him or not.

That's a very pretentious statement!:(

I don't think you'd 'get' Bukowski with this attitude.

I apologise in humility. Bukowski shall not be proudly displayed on the bookshelves then... :) thanks for the further suggestions!

So i got my hands on a copy of the Factotum film. i was sincerely suprised and impressed. Matt Dillon did an awesome job capturing his aura and mannerisms. Kinda dark grim and nonchalant with a lot of humor is how I imagined it to be and it proved me right.

Highly recommended for film buffs or Bukowski fans.

'Tis better than Barfly (well that's not difficult is it?)

Not as good as 'Crazy Love' but worth watching as long as you've read the book first.

I've just added Bukowski to my "must read" list. I've heard of him, but wasn't intrigued enough to pick a book up until just recently. He was mentioned a few times in the book I just finished, so I thought I'd pick something up. I've added Post Office to my wishlist as I'm not as into short stories and poetry as I am novels. It came highly recommended by the guy at the used bookstore (even though he didn't have a copy) and I'm glad to see that confirmed here. If I don't come up with a copy soon, I'll probably guilt myself into buying one.

Back