• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Charles De Lint

Nakmeister

Has anyone ever read any books by Charles De Lint? He's a fantasy author, and he's got a loosely connected series of books set in the fictional American city of Newford. I've only read one, 'Trader' but it was truly a great book, beautifully written (not a term I'd generally use but justified here I think).

Nakmeister

Trader - Charles De Lint
Published by Orb books (previously a different publisher, this is a new edition I think)
ISBN: 0765302969

Looks like it's available from Amazon too.

Thanks

thank you, have you read the shadowleague books, if you have could you reply to my thread entitled The Shadow leauge books.

I read his 'The Little Country' a couple of months back and really enjoyed it. It was a different approach to the genre, fitting more into 'real-world fantasy' (aka 'urban fantasy') niche than anything. It reminded me a little of Susan Cooper's The Dark is Rising series, both in its setting (rural England) and in the way it used English folklore as it's magical devices. The inclusion of a real-world mystery had me on tenterhooks at times, not wanting to put it down. But I must say that I was a little disappointed by the ending -
an awful lot of violence, which was more than unexpected!

I have read a fair few of his books. I like them a lot. I urge you to read more! I particularly enjoyed Moonheart

Damn good author, has been writing urban fantasy well before the craze really resurfaced recently. I recommend people to look at his collections that take place in the Newford setting, The Newford Stories which are simply great reading and a hell of a bargain.

Loved the Onion Girl, - I'm just a big fan of Newford period.

I've read a couple of his books. His he a good author, though I do find his themes a bit grim at times.

rune said:
His he a good author, though I do find his themes a bit grim at times.
I've only read the one book of his, so I can't really comment on his overarching themes. However I did not like some aspects of the ending to The Little Country very much - it seemed out of place.

I think his work will appeal to people who like to delve into the darker side of peoples relationships.
I'm not one for that kind of story. It's too much like real life to me. I prefer the fantasy books I read to be an escapism. Not that I dont mind gritty storylines in a fantasy book, but when you mix fantasy elements with real life elements it can be easy to concentrate mostly on real life. And that's what Lint does.

I've read a few of his books and have enjoyed them all. I like how he intertwines myth and magic with modern day people.

Back