• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory...

froggerz40

What do you guys'n gals think? Will "Depp" dethrone "Wilder" in the upcoming film? Is the original "Willy Wonka" too original to be topped? Is Roald Dahl "spinning" in his grave, even as I speak? Will Depp have the appropriate strangeness/gentleness of the lead character?
For me the memories of watching Willy Wonka at the drive-in with my brother and sisters on a summer night, sitting on the blanket in the grass, is a treasured memory! (Although the scene with the ship in the tunnel seemed gruesomely hallucinogenic for a kid's film... :eek:)
Well?

Giving it to Tim Burton was a brave move after his last remake (Planet Of the Apes).I don't think there will be much in the way of middle ground.Kids will either love it or be scared of it.At least we wont have to suffer those bloody awful songs this time.

Ooh, I love the tunnel scene.
I'm a big Burton and Depp fan, I doubt I'll be disappointed. Can't speak for others though. But I don't think you can ever replace the original. It was wonderful.
I haven't read the book since elementary school. I should pick it up sometime.

i am lookink forward to it as i hated the first one. i did not like the kid who played charlie, i thought the oompa loompas were horrible, and i have never liked gene wilder. as far as i am concerned burton could do no worse.

Burton and Depp isn't a combination that I'm fond of so I'm probably going to wait a couple of years until it's shown on television just to see if Wonka is portrayed as the bastard he is in the book.

I haven't seen the move adaptation with Wilder but I doubt that it's going to top the Swedish television series that only had illustrations and a narrating by Ernst Hugo Järegård.

I wish they would do a contiuation into 'Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator' instead of another remake. My son and I laughed ourselves silly reading that book, and since we all love the original here-we don't need a remake.

Johnny Depp is good-but can he pull off Willy Wonka?-I'm not so sure. I'll probably see it, my son may want to also, but I might wait for the DVD.

jenngorham said:
i am lookink forward to it as i hated the first one. i did not like the kid who played charlie, i thought the oompa loompas were horrible, and i have never liked gene wilder. as far as i am concerned burton could do no worse.

i agree jenn. and those oompa loompas creeped me out

I like the creepy factor. ;)
The creepier the better - I like weird things... :p
lorrekarloff said:
I wish they would do a contiuation into 'Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator' instead of another remake
I agree

I like it when Depp and Burton work together: Edward Scissorhands, Ed Wood... not so much Sleepy Hollow though, that wasn't very good...

I think it's going to be really fantastic and beat the original! I am a big fan of Burton. I think he is just the right choice for this movie. I think that he has the twisted vision to create just the right look and feel that Dahl would have wanted. I also think Depp is a really good choice. I am looking forward to this one :)

I couldn't imagine a better combination for remaking this film. It's always been the slight edge of darkness which I enjoyed from Roald Dahl books which I loved as a kid & I think not only is Tim Burton excellent at giving films this sort of atmosphere but I couldn't think of a better actor for playing the kooky (& let's face facts slightly deranged) character which is Willy Wonka

Yeah, the Oompa Loompahs were certainly a creepy bunch of blue collar workers, but I think that they were intended to be that way. Johnny Depp is a cool actor, and seems to approach his roles with a lot of intelligence, but whether he can attain true "Wonkahood" remains to be seen. I agree with the above opinions on Tim Burton- a real genius, but his strong signature on everything he touches seems to be either appropriate (The Nightmare Before Christmas), or strangely IN-appropriate. Oh well, it's all geared for fun! :)

To update- there's some interesting news on www.timburtoncollective.com, concerning this release. Not only is this film to be faithful to the Roald Dahl original, as opposed to being a remake of the previous film, but the great Christopher Lee has been pressed into service, portraying Willy Wonka's father! How cool is that?!

froggerz40 said:
To update- there's some interesting news on www.timburtoncollective.com, concerning this release. Not only is this film to be faithful to the Roald Dahl original, as opposed to being a remake of the previous film, but the great Christopher Lee has been pressed into service, portraying Willy Wonka's father! How cool is that?!

willy wonka's father? i just finished reading this to my son. just. like last night. there was no "willy wonka's father".

Hi jenngorham! Apologies! I didn't remember his father either, so I looked up some stuff, and only found this-

"But (Tim)Burton was determined that Wonka - although weird - should be a believable character. The sweet maker's background is fleshed out far more than it is in the books, but this is the only significant change Burton has made to his source material.
In the film, we learn how Willy Wonka lured Oompa Loompas from their island home to become his helpers in the magical chocolate factory. We also discover through flashback scenes how he found his vocation as a master sweet-maker - thanks to his domineering father, dentist Dr Wilbur Wonka, played by Christopher Lee. The child Wonka ends up with his head encased in a orthodontic cage, while Dr Wilbur burns his bag of sweets in the fire. Naturally, as soon as he grows up, he builds a magical sweet factory."

Back