• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Chat about discussing Lolita (split from Mature Discussions thread)

Peder:
We have had our turn.
Now it's your turn!

You musn't say that Peder, I for one rather enjoy reading the various Nabokov threads, especially the Lolita one. I only pitch in so little because i tend to get distracted by other books and end up getting left behind. Keep the thread going, you've all ( the little Nabokov Collective - sorry thats how i think of you guys :p ) made it more than clear on several occasions that you'd welcome any newcomers regardless of what they had to say or repeat.

Gem =
I only pitch in so little because I tend to get distracted by other books and end up getting left behind.

Heck, Gem. I get left behind even when I'm reading for all I'm worth! Some of them folks're faster than a speeding bullet. It's the caffeine in 'em.

Gem said:
Peder:

You musn't say that Peder, I for one rather enjoy reading the various Nabokov threads, especially the Lolita one. I only pitch in so little because i tend to get distracted by other books and end up getting left behind. Keep the thread going, you've all ( the little Nabokov Collective - sorry thats how i think of you guys :p ) made it more than clear on several occasions that you'd welcome any newcomers regardless of what they had to say or repeat.
Gem,
You are so kind!
But I didn't realize we were running away from you. Just now we are going slow enough that you are the one who might run right past us but, as you see, there are yet other opportunities and I hope there always will be. A discussion is just too good not to be part of. So join on, and if you want slower, just ask. We do caffeine any which way.
Peder
the lead caffeinist

StillILearn said:
Gem =

Heck, Gem. I get left behind even when I'm reading for all I'm worth! Some of them folks're faster than a speeding bullet. It's the caffeine in 'em.
And as for you, Miss SIL!
You have to drink more caffeine!
Jus kiddin, but ya know that already!
Peder

StillILearn said:
Any chance of dragging you back on over into the Lolita thread, MC? I'd really love to hear your opinion of that work of art, and I just know you have it kicking around there someplace. ;)
I do pop in from time to time, but have refrained from posting much for the same reason as both Shade and Stewart - I am worried that I will be posting something that has already been thoroughly discussed! I do indeed have a copy of Lolita floating about somewhere, and I would have to read it again before I joined the discussion, methinks - I'm sure that you can appreciate that Lolita is a book that requires more than one read to fully grasp. I will be watching the Lolita thread with renewed interest now, and will venture a post sometime in the near future :D

Who did end up winning the court case, just as an aside? Has it been resolved yet?

MonkeyCatcher said:
Who did end up winning the court case, just as an aside? Has it been resolved yet?
MC,
SIL put on her robe, emerged from her chamber with an impassioned plea, wowed us all, and we all agreed she had won the day! She was at her best! Simply superb!
Peder

Ronny said:
Notice I've not posted in this thread, I'm not sure where or when the conversation ended on the new topics but at some point we were informed it was over and is now a Lolita thread.
????????????????????????????????????????????????!
That girl sure is takin a bashin for a lot of things these days.

Peder said:

Well maybe if you'd stop dragging her behind you everywhere you go? ;) :)

I am glad y'all enjoy the book so much, even more so that the thread has taken off so well. I do not appreciate that it has taken over so many other threads, sorry.

Ronny said:
I could be wrong but it already seems as if the popular threads have a way of working into all the other threads. And while I'm very happy for those enjoying that topic, I don't really want it to show up all over the place. I think it will leave a bad impression for new members to come on and feel that they have joined on the tail end of something and I think it is tedious for established members to see something brought up in every thread they view.
:confused: :eek:
Bad Impression?
Anyone new coming into the forum will be coming in on the tail end of something. There are many on going discussions. Thats the reason for the forum. Discuss books. On going discussions of books.

Tedious? :rolleyes:
Considering the new threads that have been created, I would have to say that there is some disagreement with that position.

:)

Peder said:

Perhaps it's time to pimp up Nabakov? Try putting a set of 24in spinning rims on the the Lolita thread and take her for a ride round the 'hood.

Regards,

K-S

Ronny said:
Well maybe if you'd stop dragging her behind you everywhere you go? ;) :)
Ronny,
You are losing me completely.

1. I was unaware that this thread had been declared a Lolita thread as you claimed. And I still would like to see you point out where that occurred.

2. And I am totally unaware that I drag her around with me everywhere I go. If you will bother to look I know you will see that that is not so.

So that is two bones I now have to pick and I am serious.

The animosity toward Lolita that I see is getting out of bounds.
Peder

In this thread alone more than a couple of people posted about being afraid to post in the Lolita thread because they don't want to cover old ground.

I understand where they are coming from. I just don't know whether that should be the sole reason to refrain from contributing.

ds

direstraits said:
In this thread alone more than a couple of people posted about being afraid to post in the Lolita thread because they don't want to cover old ground.

I understand where they are coming from. I just don't know whether that should be the sole reason to refrain from contributing.

ds

It shouldn't be the sole reason, but I'm glad some people were open about why they haven't posted.

Peder said:
Ronny,
You are losing me completely.

1. I was unaware that this thread had been declared a Lolita thread as you claimed. And I still would like to see you point out where that occurred.

2. And I am totally unaware that I drag her around with me everywhere I go. If you will bother to look I know you will see that that is not so.

So that is two bones I now have to pick and I am serious.

The animosity toward Lolita that I see is getting out of bounds.
Peder

Thank you, I am now reminded why I don't try to state my opinions anymore. I will keep them to myself from now on, sorry for butting in.

Ronny and mehastings, I am one of the people who started talking about Lolita (and other Nabokov) in this thread (it all began here) and you're right to pull me up on that. I'm sorry. I'm keen to stay on topic here.

Shade said:
Ronny and mehastings, I am one of the people who started talking about Lolita (and other Nabokov) in this thread (it all began here) and you're right to pull me up on that. I'm sorry. I'm keen to stay on topic here.

Thank you for this link, Shade. I realize now that I must have been quoting from it way back early in the original Lolita thread here. (It was the Martin Amis article that reminded me.) The Palimpsest thread was and is wonderfully informative and enjoyable, and I can see why you wouldn't want to have to rewrite everything you (so beautifully) already wrote there.

Back