• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Chat Room

sweetsymphony

This may have already been requested before, so forgive me if this is a repeat...

Would it be possible to have a chat room on this site or connected to this site somehow? I think it would be a blast to be able to chat live with other members of this forum.

Just an idea! :)

It's a nice idea, but I would agree that it's not really necessary :)

We have the general chat area for chit chat. There is Private Message system if you want to converse ( and I do ) that way. And if you really want to "chat" you can always ask somebody to meet you on one of the many messengers such as yahoo, msn, icq and so on.

Also, it would probably detract from the forum as a whole. Maybe nobody would be posting as too busy chatting in the chat room :D

I think idea went up an age ago and Darren shot it down, saying it wasnt really necessary for a forum about Books. I would presume that stance still stands, and to me at least it makes sense, those things can eat up a lot of server space and bandwidth.

Phil

its not a bad idea, but really a chat isnt necesary, maybe a shoutbox (or spambox) would fit better, and would be useful, in other forums i have visited with a spambox, generally the threads on the general chat area keep on-topic

sweetsymphony said:
This may have already been requested before, so forgive me if this is a repeat...

Would it be possible to have a chat room on this site or connected to this site somehow? I think it would be a blast to be able to chat live with other members of this forum.

Just an idea! :)

I agree with you sweetsymphony! There are so few GOOD chat rooms (at least I haven't found many) where people actually talk about books! We need more of them! PLEASE! I will beg if necessary. (lol) :D

Wow, hehe. Goodness me, *gasps*. I seem to be agreeing with the majority, here. I much prefer a forum arrangment to a chatroom one. In a chatroom, you'll get a lot of 'lol'-ing and wasted space, etc. Forum messages seem more lovingly composed.

What's a 'Spambox'? I have an image of someone typing a message then a box popping up on everybody's screen, showing them the message. That sounds like a cool idea. As long as you could disable it. I'm probably not right, though.

Nosferatu Man said:
What's a 'Spambox'? I have an image of someone typing a message then a box popping up on everybody's screen, showing them the message. That sounds like a cool idea. As long as you could disable it. I'm probably not right, though.

a spambox is simple a thread in the general chat area titled "spambox", its a thread for chitchat, which gets deleted every week or so, but when there is a lot of people at the same time it pretty much looks like a chat, the good thing is that usually regulars posts all the "off topic" coments in the spambox, and keep away from other threads unless they have something "on topic" to say, i have seem this on other forums, and works great

If you want it badly enough, another option would be to just go on an IRC network and create a channel.

Back