• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Cheap Books

ladyjune98

Where do you get books for cheap? I get mine from:

library sales
yard sales
eBay (if you buy in lots it's usually cheaper)
bookstore sales (not nearly as good as library sales but my university bookstore used to sell discontinued text books for 10% of the original cost--pretty good, and I would usually find some good ones.

I got so good at finding cheap books that I had to make some rules for myself so I wouldn't buy too many. I started only buying books that I really wanted--I would find myself staring at a book a few months later and thinking, why in the world did I buy this thing?

Other than those sources already stated, I get brand new books for super-cheap from Daedalus and Hamilton, both online booksellers.

Pearl said:
The Library. Too bad their selections have been very bad lately.

I'm really wierd this way, I can't have used books =/

I usually just buy the book brand new from the store, which gets really expensive :p

Library sales, used bookstores and sometimes I can find a good buy on the bargin shelf at bookstores.

Wow, buy new books. I could bet that gets expensive! That's cool you have nice brand new books though!

I even think most used bookstores are too expensive half the time! :(

callatiger said:
Library sales, used bookstores and sometimes I can find a good buy on the bargin shelf at bookstores.

Wow, buy new books. I could bet that gets expensive! That's cool you have nice brand new books though!

I even think most used bookstores are too expensive half the time! :(

Yeah, it bugs me that I have to buy the books new but I just like the feeling of knowing that it has only been mine.

Most of my collection is used books. I get them anywhere I can, yard sales, charity rummage sales, library shelf sales and bag sales. (those are the BEST-fill a bag with books for 1 or 2 dollars! Thats heaven to me! :D ) Also people give me books because they know I'm a reader and my house looks like a good home for homeless books.

I like the idea of reading something thats been passed along and entertained several people in its travels. And the covers on older books are fun to look at sometimes.

I dont think twice about lending out a used book, but lending out a new one makes me anxious, and I hate to say no if someone wants to borrow. I even keep used copies of some of my newies-just in case!
If I ony bought new books, my collection would be very small and very boring. Almost all of my really interesting finds have been pre-owned books discovered by chance. :D

lorrekarloff said:
Most of my collection is used books. I get them anywhere I can, yard sales, charity rummage sales, library shelf sales and bag sales. (those are the BEST-fill a bag with books for 1 or 2 dollars! Thats heaven to me! :D ) Also people give me books because they know I'm a reader and my house looks like a good home for homeless books.

I like the idea of reading something thats been passed along and entertained several people in its travels. And the covers on older books are fun to look at sometimes.

I dont think twice about lending out a used book, but lending out a new one makes me anxious, and I hate to say no if someone wants to borrow. I even keep used copies of some of my newies-just in case!
If I ony bought new books, my collection would be very small and very boring. Almost all of my really interesting finds have been pre-owned books discovered by chance. :D

Yeah thats another thing. I don't like lending out my new books in case it slips my mind and then when I go to get it back they still are not done with it. I don't usually end up getting them back unless it's a book that I really enjoyed and get after them about :p

Joshua said:
Yeah thats another thing. I don't like lending out my new books in case it slips my mind and then when I go to get it back they still are not done with it. I don't usually end up getting them back unless it's a book that I really enjoyed and get after them about :p
I keep a list of any books that are borrowed because I forget also. My worry when I lend out a book I got new is that something will happen to the book (coffee or food spill, dog chewing, page ripped or bent etc.) But if its been bought used and/or only cost a quarter, I've got no worries there. :)

Used book sales, library sales, half.com, amazon's other sellers thingy....

I will only buy new books for my most favorite authors, but have no trouble with 2nd hand books for everyone else. I do try to buy ones that are in decent condition, though.

I never lend out books except to my dad...perhaps that is selfish, but most people never get back the books they lend out (I've had that experience with several of my favorite books) and I don't want to lose them....I'm not rich enough to just let my books slip away.

VTChEwbecca said:
Used book sales, library sales, half.com, amazon's other sellers thingy....

I will only buy new books for my most favorite authors, but have no trouble with 2nd hand books for everyone else. I do try to buy ones that are in decent condition, though.

I never lend out books except to my dad...perhaps that is selfish, but most people never get back the books they lend out (I've had that experience with several of my favorite books) and I don't want to lose them....I'm not rich enough to just let my books slip away.

Yeah I know how you feel, I've lost a few of my favourite books.

Not because the person didn't return them, but accidents while they were in the possession of that person. For example I've had coffee wasted on one, banana squished all over another =/

It's just not a good feeling to have one of your favourite books ruined.

Charity shops
sale section in bookshops
Car boot Sales
Markets
Library Sales.

Sometimes Ebay, but i agree with SillyWabbit ypu've got to be careful, by the time you pay postage it doesn't work out the bargain you hoped.

Cabrasopa :cool:

Check out abebooks. It's a great site with a bunch of used bookstores and their inventories online. It's where I go to find something I can't find anywhere else.

Back