• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Childhood Ideas

MonkeyCatcher

Does anyone wish to disclose the ideas they had in their minds when they were children about certain things, which they found out later to be extremely, horribly wrong?

I suppose I had better start off so you know what I'm babbling on about..

When I was younger, I always thought that High School was called that because the school was two stories (my primary school was just one story, obviously).

Oh, and also we have some potato chips here called Cheese Balls. When I was younger I always wondered why they didn't taste the same as when I rolled cheese into little balls and ate them :eek:

And when ever people referred to lap-dogs, I thought it was because the people acted like dogs who would run rings around their masters. Guess I was wrong.. :)

So go ahead, tell me yours :D

I used to think that some people were actually witches in disguise. I thought that if I ran up behind them fast enough I could see them as they really are before they put their mask on.

I also thought for a time that you were born either male or female and later switch sexes when you become an adult!

Looking back, I think I listened in on too many adult conversations and interpretted them the only way I knew how.

@ martin, SHUT UP! it is cool. i have been to florida once and tokyo disney twice, all 3 times as an adult and i loved it!!! it was brilliant.

i'll have to think of something, i'm certain ricky will know something. i once told her cat's didn't have voice boxes and that the meowing was wind escaping their lungs when their mouths opened.

I used to think that aeroplanes were so small that they would fit into my hands, I used always wonder how so many people could fit into them. :eek:

My sister used to believe that the people on television were actually standing behind the tv and acting.She thought that they hid everytime she tried to sneak up on them. When it was time to turn off the tv and go to bed she used to actually light a candle and leave it on the tv so that the 'pretty people' could have some light.

I guess I always thought there would be some definitive moment when I knew I was an adult but it never came. Maybe I'm a late bloomer :eek:

LOL Ronny, I only grew up (though some people would argue whether i ever did) when I told my cousin who at the time weighed way more than 200 pounds that he would never fit into an aeroplane - in my defence;read my earlier post. He got real upset and started crying, and my sister sat me down and gave me the 'watch what you say, you are no longer five' talk.

i thought of something. i was born in b.c and i remember thinking that british columbia was canada, all of it, and winnipeg was part of b.c. when we moved to new brunswick i thought we were moving to europe. oh and i thought ronald regan was the president of canada.

Gem said:
When it was time to turn off the tv and go to bed she used to actually light a candle and leave it on the tv so that the 'pretty people' could have some light.
That is too cute! I actually made a verbal 'awwww' when I read that :D

My younger sister used to think that people always had enough time to dodge bullets. She could never understand why people would just wait there for the bullet to hit them rather than dodge out of the way.

LOL Monkeycatcher, my nephews think the same thing - movies like the matrix have a lot to answer for :rolleyes:

A lot of my childhood confusions came out of my religious upbringing. I mean no disrespect to anyone, but here are some of the odd ideas I had in my early years.

I thought the bodies of dead cardinals were clearly visible from this special spot in St. Patrick's Cathedral, if you could only bear to look down into the crypt, which I couldn't, and that their holy auras magically suspended their red hats overhead.

I was absolutely certain that the lamb of god was a real lamb hidden in the church somewhere and I was always thinking I could hear it.

I thought the Jews who went to the temple down the block from my house kissed a dead rat on the altar, and I snuck in one time, terrified, to see the exact spot.

I thought Protestants had no point because they didn't kiss anything dead or have anything to eat or drink.

I thought incense was the ashes of a dead holy person.

I thought a 'pagan' was a naked person in National Geographic.

I used to believe that all of my Teddy bears and assorted stuffed animals had real thoughts and feelings. If only I could open my door fast enough I could see them drop to the floor and pretent to be inanimate again. To this day I still can't rid of some of my bears because I am afraid of hurting their feelings. Yes, I know it is silly.

I used to think I could run away from home, and since I was little I could hide inside of DisneyWorld and no one would notice me since kids are supposed to be there. The plan was to use the fact I was *really* cute to beg people for enough money to get some food, then ride It's a Small World and Mr. Toads Wild Ride forever.(I was about 7.. we all have runaway fantasies)

I thought that I as a male had a female curse since I often had nosebleeds.

One time I had been sleeping on my back and woke up with my eyesocket full of blood. I could barely open that eye.

I used to think that a beautiful, rich, noble prince from a far country will come to marry me. :D

I used to think there are only nice, good and lovely people in the world.

When I was a kid my mom used to take me and my sister to McDonald's, and when she was ordering for us she'd say, "And one small fry". Then, when we got up to the drive-up window, the McDonald's people would hand us a whole packet of fries, not just one small fry... I thought the McDonald's people were really, really nice :p

I used to think that anyone could become president of the USA. I thought that it was customary for anyone to duck when a police officer drove by. But this was just my mom hiding me from the cops.
I used to think everything had a set price to it, so i would try to memorize how many bills my dad used to pay for something.
I used to think that people would actually die when they got shot on tv. and that when women had a c-section, they died.

I remembered something else..

I always used to wonder when my mum would hand over one note and get heaps of notes and coins back (say handing over a 20 and getting a 10, a 5 and a 1 dollar coin back). I always thought that the man was handing back more money than she gave him. :eek:

Back