• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Children's Books you still love to read today.

I love A Wrinkle In Time. It was an amazing book and heck, it still is!
I also enjoy Robert Munsch books, they're short and ment for very young children, but the ideas behind them are very interesting and I love quickly reading through them when I stop by a book store. :p

Ooh so many to choose from. I see no one has mentioned Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Sylvie and Bruno or the Favous Five! Stig of the Dump is still one of my favourites and the iron man too. Ah i could write on this subject all day.

So many for me!

Little Women (wasn't really a children's book was it?)
What Katy Did
Heidi

Any of the Enid Blyton school stories, St Clares, Malory Towers etc...

and from slightly later childhood, I've just bought myself another copy of Z For Zachariah. I remember reading it in school and loving it.

Bridge to Terabithia
Loved the book when I read it back in 4th grade, and still love it in freshmen yr of college. I saw the movie and picked up the dvd last week, great movie. Hopefully this book stays on the list of books to read in 4th grade, considering the touchy subjects it presses on.

The Karlson's series book by Astrid Lindgren.
I completely adore her writing. I was laughing as a 10-years old as I was reading them, and I do so still now. But now I laugh at different things.

I still adore reading the Winnie-the-Pooh (the real one. By A.A. Milne.)

And Kipling's Just So Stories.

Green Eggs and Ham & The Sneetches both by Dr Suess are both great. I still read my Asterix books too and it is probably only adults that understand many of the puns in this series.

Madeleine L'Engle's Time Quartet and The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster.

D'aulaire's Book of Greek Myths. One of the best mythological books ever written for children.

The Stars: a new way to see them by H. A. Rey.

2000357704.jpg
. . . . . awww.thescienceshop.ca_images_kids_books_thestars.jpg

Madeleine L'Engle's Time Quartet

I must admit, I have never read these, but am going to soon as I found them in a used book store and picked them up.

Do they have to be read in a certain order, or are they stand alone stories?

They are stand alone but you get a better understanding of the mythos when they are read in the following order

A Wrinkle in Time
A Wind in the Door
Many Waters
A Swiftly Tilting Planet

If you would like to read them in the order they were written, switch the last two books.

L'Engle has other books with the same characters and their families; some fantasy/sf, some general fiction.

Ummmm....
I'm such a kids' book fan that I like tons from this genre. But it's interesting. I tend to like ones that I didn't read as a kid. I think I idealized those so much that they can't hold up to my memory of them. There are a few exceptions, though. The Wizard of Oz series still is Way Cool. Also, the Phantom Tollbooth.
But most of all, as someone already mentioned. Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass. Something about those enchants me now as much as they did then!!!!
Kaza Kingsley
Author of the Erec Rex series
erecrex.com :rolleyes:

One of my faves that no one's mentioned yet is "The Ordinary Princess" by M.M. Kaye. My 5th grade teacher gave it to me way back when, and I reread it a lot. I also absolutely love Dianna Wynn Jones' works, especially "Witch Week" and her other Chronicles of Chrestomanci books.

Matilda by Roald Dahl
Babysitter's Club by Ann M. Martin
any historical fiction story by Ann Rinaldi
Nancy Drew by Carolyn Keene (the older versions with the yellow hardback cover)
Cam Jensen mysteries (can't remember the author. It was about a girl detective who would solve mysteries using her photographic memory).
Royal Diaries/Dear America diaries by various authors
Little House on the Prairie series by Laura Ingalls Wilder (I was a huge fan of these and of the other books about the Ingalls' family--her mother, her grandmother, and her daughter. I know so much about this family).
Sweet Valley High series by Francine Pascal

Those were my favorites while growing up. Almost all of them are out of print now though (like the Cam Jensen books or the Babysitter Club books or the Sweet Valley High books. Can only find them in the library now).

Alice in Wonderland - over and over and over
Little Women - better than you think
E. B. White: Stuart Little and Charlotte's Web. The White books were not part of my childhood, but I read them with my own children and then reverse adopted them back into my childhood.

So many for me!

Little Women (wasn't really a children's book was it?)
What Katy Did
Heidi

Any of the Enid Blyton school stories, St Clares, Malory Towers etc...

I'm with you Mrs Pacino. :)

And yes.. reading fairy tales with little cousins is fun.

for booklover, Cam Jansen mysteries were written by David Adler.

The Little House books by Laura Ingalls Wilder, the The Betsy-Tacy books by Maud Hart Lovelace, Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis, and The Borrowers by Mary Norton.

Here's mine ^^

1. The Secret Garden
2. Town Mouse Country Mouse
3. The Enchanted Wood by Enid Blyton)
4. Daddy-Long-Legs by Jean Webster
5. Harry Potter Series

Back