• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Children's Books you still love to read today.

Oh, yes. Anne is one of my oldest companions. I don't know how many times I've read those books and still love them.

The Potter series is fantastic, too, but I didn't actually read that as a kid (I was in my late teens by the time the first volume was published and didn't start delving into the series until the third part was out).

I read Anne of Avonlea (I think) and Anne's House of Dreams recently. I had mixed feelings about them. They were a nice comforting read on one hand, but there were a lot of things that irritated me to the point where I had to put the book down and leave it for a while - that wasn't so comforting!

I agree that the books aren't perfect. I can't speak for anyone else, but for me some of the early books in the series are a little sloppy. We've got characters standing in rooms talking out loud to themselves often, for instance.

That said, the characters are wonderful, especially Anne.

Sent from my LG-VM696 using Book And Reader mobile app

Well I think the main thing I found irritating in Anne of Avonlea was the twins - or rather Anne and her guardian's (forgotten her name!) attitude toward the twins. As far as I'm concerned the little boy is a psychopath in the making and needed a good telling off at times, but Anne and whatever-her-name-is still prefer him to the girl and let him get away with murder. Ugh just thinking about it now winds me up lol.

Also, all the characters seem to believe that the greatest sin a person can commit is to be quiet and unsociable.

I recently read The Ghost of Dibble Hollow by May Nickerson Wallace - have had it since I was a kid and ran across it in a box of other books. Still a good read!

I've always read children's books no matter my age (and adult books, I don't discriminate).

Some great ones for grown-up tastes are:

Howl's Moving Castle
The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making
From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler
The Wednesday Wars
Holes

My favorite all time childhood books were the "Velgarth Series" or Valdemar Series, about 20 or so books in total by YA author Mercedes Lackey. I still pull them out and read them at least once a year.:)

Some favorite books from my childhood are:
1. Heidi - Johanna Spry.
I live in a part of India where we do not see snow. Apart from the emotional appeal of Heidi,
I loved it because it made me see the world of Swiss mountains.
I first read the book forty years ago. We did not have TV or computer then. Our understanding of
another world came from books. Today, I may be able to get umpteen visuals of Switzerland (or
any other part of the world) on the computer but I don't feel the magic of discovery I did when I
saw it all through the pages of this book.
2.Black Beauty - Anna Sewell
3. Books by Louisa May Alcott - I loved Eight Cousins followed by Little Women, Jo's boys..
4. I always had some book by Enid Blyton with me.

Gita

yup :) ditto on Enid Blyton - I reread all the Famous Five books a while back, and am busy with another series. I regularly go back to old favourites.

I loved Heidi, Little Women, and Black Beauty can still make me weep as nothing else can. I loved the old Nancy Drew series, girl detective! lol Practically unheard of back then. :)
The Wizard of Oz books, What Katy Did as well.
I transitioned into "adult" fiction at an early age though, so books like Forever Amber became my favorites. :)

I loved "Little Women" and some of the follow on books, but I didn't read them until I was an adult. Yup go Nancy Drew! What Katy Did and I didn't see eye-to-eye. Heidi was kind of OK although we had a dreadful animated TV series which showed incessantly which kind of put me off the book, even though it only had a passing similarity.

I also read a lot of Christine Pullein-Thompson (pony books) and Flicker. I read John Steinbeck "The Red Pony" which seriously put me off reading any other book by him for life. I suppose I should have included that book in my 'transcendent' reads as it left such a lasting impression, but it was such a negative one that I can't view it in any kind of positive light.

I also read a lot of John D. McDonald and Robert B. Parker as a child. (raiding the parent's book shelves LOL) oh and Lobsang Rampa - even if he was right old faker - as a child I loved the books. To me they were fiction so the whole was he / wasn't he thing never impinged.

I also read "The Agony and the Ecstacy" about Michaelangelo by Irving Stone which made a great impression. Oh and Dick Francis. Gosh this is raiding the old memory banks.

I too read "The Agony and the Ecstacy" at a pretty young age. Somewhere in the book, Michaelangelo's friend makes his portrait by first drawing squares on a sheet. He uses some geometrical method but the portrait comes out wrong. I spent a week of my holidays trying to do something similar with a photograph, unfortunately with similar results.

The system, like most others, works with skill and practice. Skill for getting the drawing right and practice for proportional enlargement in all the squares. When you miss out on any of the two, you get results that are difficult to explain!

The system, like most others, works with skill and practice. Skill for getting the drawing right and practice for proportional enlargement in all the squares. When you miss out on any of the two, you get results that are difficult to explain!

sounds like a description of anything I draw :)

I'm still hooked on Dr. Seuss. Every once in a while I'll pull out all of my Seuss books and read them. The only problem is that all of my dreams rhyme like a Seuss book for days after. It's amazing how the mind works sometimes.

Back