• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Children's Books you still love to read today.

LOL I am afraid I have, not even to this day, read any Dr. Seuss, Winnie the Pooh or their siblings either. I grew up on Grimms Fairy Tales and Hans Christian Anderson, What Katy Did series and Jane Eyre. Oh, and of course The Wizard of Oz, and Robin Hood. :D

I haven't read Pooh yet either. Not the unabridged, non-disney-fied version. One of these days I might. I remember reading all that set of colored fairytale books...my school library had nearly all of them. The Red Fairytale Book, etc. My favorites were the Childhood of Famous Americans and The Landmark series. Also I read every book on American Indians I could find..all but memorizing Sonia Bleeker's works. I still have a soft spot for biographies and non fiction.

My mother had for me a very large, almost coffee-table sized, green book of fairy tales. The illustrations were gorgeous. I wish I could find it. I may still have it in some unexplored corner/box around here.

My mother had for me a very large, almost coffee-table sized, green book of fairy tales. The illustrations were gorgeous. I wish I could find it. I may still have it in some unexplored corner/box around here.

We used to have a book at my grandmother's house of Grimm's Fairy Tales, and I read that a lot, also I had a book with all the illustrations of The Night Before Christmas, plus the Rupert Bear book - I think that was probably only when I was in England. My absolute favourite children's book to this day, and I didn't read it until I was a bit older, is The Wind in the Willows. I still pull it out occasionally to have another read at it. :)

I am currently taking an online college course on writing. We are examining The Wizard of Oz as a model to teach technique. I bought the Blu-Ray just for kicks.

I am currently taking an online college course on writing. We are examining The Wizard of Oz as a model to teach technique. I bought the Blu-Ray just for kicks.

My older kids loved the entire Wizard of Oz series; reading some of them several times over. Personally, I'd rather eat a pile of cardboard! Oh well, different strokes, I guess:innocent:

I have to cast my vote for Charlotte's Web. I think I've reread that one about 10 times or so. I recently bought a beautiful hardcover version that I had no earthy need for (my youngest is 18 so I can't pretend it's for him.) There is something about that beautiful blue cover with Charlotte on it that I couldn't resist.

I have to cast my vote for Charlotte's Web. I think I've reread that one about 10 times or so. I recently bought a beautiful hardcover version that I had no earthy need for (my youngest is 18 so I can't pretend it's for him.) There is something about that beautiful blue cover with Charlotte on it that I couldn't resist.

But you MIGHT have grandchildren one day...and even if you don't, you deserve a lovely copy of a wonderful childhood favorite. Where's the harm? I can't see any:flowers:

I always loved Beverly Cleary's Ramona series when I was a kid, but haven't picked one up in years. I think they're in my parent's attic still. I have, however, enjoyed reading, and re-reading any Dr. Seuss book, Raymond Bradbury's Something Wicked this Way Comes, C.S. Lewis' Chronicles of Narnia and I passed on Wende and Harry Devlin's How Fletcher Was Hatched to my nephew Fletcher. It was probably the most read book on my monstrous bookshelves that took up most of my room when I was a kid, though my little sister always had me read The Monster at the End of This Book starring loveable, furry ole' Grover to her, and I remember my mom taking all of my books away as punishment once and I had a copy of The Bagel Baker of Mulliner Lane stashed in my closet and read that ALOT while I was on punishment.

I remember my mom taking all of my books away as punishment once

Child abuse! Just kidding.

I'm a big Beverly Cleary fan too. I read all her books to my daughter when she was little and we even wrote her a fan letter. She responded with a nice note to us in return which we had framed.

mmyap said:
Child abuse!
The way I reacted, you would think so. I distinctly remember saying, "No, Mom, don't take those. Can't you just give me a spanking or something?".

mmyap said:
She responded with a nice note to us in return which we had framed.
That's so nice that an author would take the time to do that. Your daughter will cherish it forever I'm sure.

I still love revisiting the Lord of the Rings and Hobbit books as well as the Narnia series (I still own them all from childhood.)
A also love the old Dragonlance and Forgotten Realms series as well

I'm not sure if this classifies as a children's book, but I did read it when I was young so. Anyway the one book I adored was the chinese cinderella. It was soooooooo touching I actually cried at some parts.

LadyBird series: Gulliver's travels, Swiss Family Robinson, Peter Pan and oh, I was excited to find the movies as well.

The Moon In The Cloud by Rosemary Harris, I first read it when I was ten. I re-read the novel as an adult and enjoyed it just as much.

Harry Potter's worth reading. The first 2 were very kiddie, the 3rd picked up a little action, the forth was my favorite, then they sort of went downhill (but were still decent) until the end of the 7th book which was enjoyable...very end pulled one of those 30 yr later things that tend to annoy me, but it's all good.

My favorite children's books

Yes, I love my own books, they are my favorite.
I also love Hans Christian Andersen these are my favorites :
  • The Little Mermaid
  • The Ugly Duckling
  • The Tinderbox
  • The Red Shoes
  • Thumbelina
  • The Snow Queen
  • The Princess and the Pea
Also:
  • J. M. Barrie - Peter Pan
  • Michael Bond - The Paddington Bear series
  • Carlo Collodi - The Adventures of Pinocchio
  • Michael Ende - The Neverending Story
  • J. R. R. Tolkien - The Hobbit
  • E. B. White - Charlotte's Web, Stuart Little, The Trumpet of the Swan
  • Jules Verne - Journey to the Center of the Earth, 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea
  • Chris Van Allsburg - Jumanji, The Polar Express, The Garden of Abdul Gasazi
These are not in any order. They are pure classics and one day I hope to be in that group.

I still like to read horsey children's books, like the Saddle Club. I find them comforting, although they also make me really miss my horse riding days!

Back