• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Choosing Your Next Book

abecedarian

I'm curious about how other readers choose their next book to read. I have a list of candidates, a very long list, that I add to all the time. Do any of you all do that? I use interlibrary loan a LOT, and often have a huge stack of library books vying with my TBR stack (I call it Mt. TBR) for my time and attention. So, how do you determine which title is worthy of being the very next one?

:) I go with my feelings more often than not, flick through my TBR pile.
As sometimes I enjoy a really light easy read, esp when tired...or for the Bus,train, plane etc
Not to mention those put forward here for the months pick! must read about 6/10 of those. I just don't have time to write a review on them

Like most I have a huge TBR pile :eek: so there is always something I fancy starting...

Be interested to see how others decide :)

I don't have a large to be read pile, as I don't get to the book stores as often as I used to.
when I do go I get a few books, but I usually read them all at once....along with some I am rereading.
I decide what is next either by the season or the mood I'm in.
currently I am really longing to reread Little, Big by crowley, however as my copy was damaged to the point of being unreadable I need to order a new copy, so that is on my list of to be ordered.
vi

The cover (gasp!) usually grabs my attention. If I like the title, I'll read the back or whatever's printed on the dust jacket. If the book still holds my interest, I'll maybe read the first page or chapter. This is probably a horrible way to discern books to read, but hey, you have to start somewhere. Also, if I find an author I enjoy, I will typically read everything he or she has written. Half of my library is waiting to be read.

I choose my next book to read in many ways and for many reasons. I have a to-read list but I don't stick to it! Sometimes I'll just grab something to pass the time - and decide I like it, either from the librayr, or from the stack I've been leant that I am working my way through.
Or I'll go looking for a particular book I really want to read... or I'll be desperate for something, and I'll scan the shelves until something catches my eye.

Or if I manage to get to a library that isn't the school one I visit everyday, I'll scan ALL the shelves, and walk out with a stack. What I read in what order from that stack depends on my mood - the less easier it is to get into (which are ironically often the most rewarding books), the longer I procrastinate. ;)

I usually go through phases where I'm heavily into one type of book. In order not to burn myself out, I restrict myself to checking out no more than half of my total books from that type. And at home, I mix them up, too, so I don't read two in a row, either.

When I am not in a phase, I just pick one from the pile that fits my mood, sometimes I want something light, sometimes I want something dry, whatever.

I have a small notebook with pages of book titles and authors that have been recommended to me, or are on the bestseller list, or won awards, and I bring it to the library with me every time I go. I get a lot of those titles, sometimes my librarian friend has already chosen a book or two for me (she knows what I like), and sometimes I come across something on the shelves that grabs my eye.

I keep about 4 or 5 unread Terry Pratchett books lying around so that if I ever find myself looking or waiting for a book, which is infrequent, I always have something to read. Normally I have a book or two on my TBR list at all times. I am currently reading an Isabel Allende while waiting for James Lee Burke's next book to be released in July.

abecedarian said:
I'm curious about how other readers choose their next book to read. I have a list of candidates, a very long list, that I add to all the time. Do any of you all do that? I use interlibrary loan a LOT, and often have a huge stack of library books vying with my TBR stack (I call it Mt. TBR) for my time and attention. So, how do you determine which title is worthy of being the very next one?
I choose my next book by looking through my book collection and seeing which one looks good to read, one that might intrest me either if its something I have read before or a new book ;)

I rely on serendepity a lot.. I get so many books through interlibrary loan, and never know what's going to come in next. Usually it's feast or famine there..If there's a lot I need to get through, I take them in order of their due dates. Since I haven't paid money for the book, I don't feel bad if I don't finish it.. It's harder for me to get to my TBR pile lately.. there's so many pulls on my time and energy. Mood is everything, well, unless it's after my dh has gone to sleep.. then it's a matter of "what can I find in the dark?" :p

I subscribe to a librarian's listserv called Fiction_L, and they often talk about fiction in public libraries, what's popular, and what recommendations they make to people. They're used to giving little booktalks about books and listing appeal factors, so whenever I encounter a book on that list I can ususally see what it's about, too. The ones that appeal to me, or seem especially popular or influential, go on my TBR list.

There is definitely an impulse factor with me. If a book pops into my head for some reason--an association with something else in conversation or whatever--I will pull it off the shelf and start reading.

I have many books going at once, and my mood will determine which one I return to at any time.

While I understand the value of interlibrary loan, I can't stand the window of opportunity it limits me to. I can't read a book because now is my only chance. That is one reason why I have to have lots of books on hand, and why I wish bookstores were open around the clock.

I do have a list of books to read. I wrote it up several years ago. It has a few dozen titles on it. Since then, I have acquired about a thousand books that I haven't read yet, so the list is a laughable artifact now. And for the record, I still haven't read a single thing on it.

abecedarian said:
I rely on serendepity a lot.. I get so many books through interlibrary loan, and never know what's going to come in next. Usually it's feast or famine there..If there's a lot I need to get through, I take them in order of their due dates. Since I haven't paid money for the book, I don't feel bad if I don't finish it.. It's harder for me to get to my TBR pile lately.. there's so many pulls on my time and energy. Mood is everything, well, unless it's after my dh has gone to sleep.. then it's a matter of "what can I find in the dark?" :p

I get a lot of library books through ILL, too. They go to the front of the line because I don't have them for as long as the others. And I've gotten good at grabbing a book before hubby turns out the light!

muggle said:
I keep about 4 or 5 unread Terry Pratchett books lying around so that if I ever find myself looking or waiting for a book, which is infrequent, I always have something to read. Normally I have a book or two on my TBR list at all times. I am currently reading an Isabel Allende while waiting for James Lee Burke's next book to be released in July.
Guess I was not exactly on topic with my above post, sorry. :)

I frequently select which books to read by author. There are numerous authors that I enjoy and when the author has a new book coming out I normally request it from the library.

next book

Here's how I'm going to select my next book : I'm going to ask you guys :) Luckily, I do have it narrowed down to two. Should I read:

1. Fortress of Soliture by Jonathan Lethem

2. Angels and Insects by A.S. Byatt

Any thoughts on either book? Thanks!

I use a variety of methods. Serendipity, planning, season, outside influence.

Serendipity: Sometimes you stumble across a good deal or a book is loaned to you and the time is right to start something new.

Planning: I do have a rough outline of what I plan to read. I try and base this on providing myself with some variety. Not reading the same author consecutively, changing genres, choosing books of varying length. Or when something is released. I know what I'll be reading starting July 16th. Planning is also based on what I own and have not read. I always have the next book to read in that pile selected but sometimes due to the other factors other books get chosen.

Season: During certain times of the year certain books don't work for me. During the colder months I prefer the classics. During the warmer months I prefer something lighter.

Outside Influence: A good example of how this works is The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. About a month before the movie was released I decided I had to read the series before the movie was released. A book club or reading the same book as a friend partner so you can discuss also fall under this category for me.

hmm i dont really know. maybe thats why im reading around 7 books right now. i just stop and come across another one for a while.. i guess it depends if i bought the book ahead of time and really wanted to read it

I have my stack of books next to my bed. Whenever I finish a bok the next one will usually be just whatever I am in the mood for that day.

I tend to read books recommended to me by people at work. There is a group of us who share the same taste so as one person brings a book back another one takes it.

Really depends on the order they come to me from the library, how forward I was looking to reading a book, when it has to be back, and what grabs my attention. I tend to read the library books over the ones I own, I know the ones i own I'll have forever.

It just depends on what is available at the library or how many books I have out if I buy a book from a store. I /try/ to stick close to the order in my TBR list, but I'm not very successful in that aspect :rolleyes:

Back