• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Christian Fantasy and Science Fiction

PSYCO

I was wondering if anyone has read any good christian based SciFi/Fantasy? The only one I've read is "Dragonspell" by Donita K. Paul and it was suprisingly good. :)

C.S. Lewis wrote three SF-themed books and I'm sure there's a strong faith-based thread in them: Out of the Silent Planet, Perelandra, and That Hideous Strength. There are even study guides for them.

I was given one by a Christian years and years ago called something along the lines of Empyrion. It seemed okay but at the time I never fully read it as I have trouble reading science fiction (with the exception of early JG Ballard).

novella said:
Genesis and the Book of Job.

I'd hate for this to turn into another pissing match here, but I think this is funny. Like really funny. :D

In other news I always see books from the Left Behind series when I am checking out at the supermarket. They must be enjoyed by someone if they keep coming out with them. Hope that helps.

Stewart said:
I was given one by a Christian years and years ago called something along the lines of Empyrion. It seemed okay but at the time I never fully read it as I have trouble reading science fiction (with the exception of early JG Ballard).

Are you thinking of Hyperion or Endymion by Dan Simmons?

What exactly is a christian based sci-fi book by the way?

Zolipara said:
What exactly is a christian based sci-fi book by the way?

I'm guessing that it's one in which god is still in charge and is actually not a big computer.

Once you take away magic, science, superpowers, guys from other planets, and illicit sex with various lifeforms, what's left? I don't think fantasy/SF and Christianity are a natural fit, but I might be wrong. Then again, I don't think nonfiction and Christianity are such a good fit either. :confused:

"Job: A Comedy of Justice" by Robert A. Heinlein.

I haven't read it yet by the "His Dark Materials Trilogy" by Philip Pullman is supposedly based on christianity to an extent.

Try Hyperion by Dan Simmons. Even though it wasn't the one Stewart was thinking of, it turns out that it does have lots of Christian elements in it, even personal religious struggles.

Wolhay said:
I haven't read it yet by the "His Dark Materials Trilogy" by Philip Pullman is supposedly based on christianity to an extent.
These books are based very heavily on christianity, with chrisitians being the "bad guys". God is seen as a super-villian in these books. Pullman has actually confirmed that he wrote these books as a way of introducing atheism to children.

~MonkeyCatcher~

MonkeyCatcher said:
These books are based very heavily on christianity, with chrisitians being the "bad guys". God is seen as a super-villian in these books. Pullman has actually confirmed that he wrote these books as a way of introducing atheism to children.
I don't believe that Pullman has made such a statement.

Read the article Chris Weitz, New Line, 'The Times', and how to read on his website which states that his main quarrel is absolute power and suppression of freedom be it religious or not.

There's also the concept in the books that is very similar to the concept of souls which wouldn't be a very good introduction to atheism in a materialistic sense.

By the way, I also recommend 'Small Gods' by Terry Pratchett.

The Book of the Dun Cow and it's sequel The Book of Sorrows by Walter Wangerin, Jr. Allegorical animal fantasy. The sequel is aptly titled.

Back