• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Classic literature

Wabbit

What unread classic litriture would you love to experience and read in the future?

There are a few books that I am burning to read and have not read yet. I really want to get around to reading War and Peace, Crime and Punishment, much more of Shakespeare because his works and word are so beautiful and deep and they still beat with a timeless heart today, and lastly all those adventure classics ( too many to list ) such as the Three Musketeers for example!

Le Morte d'Arthur. I've started it a few times, but the idea of not being emotionally ready to appreciate it properly always keeps me from getting too far in it.

Some more Dostoevsky, definitely; Brothers Karamazov and The Idiot are both high on my list of priorities as far as the 'classics' are concerned.

There's lots more poetry I want to read, hopefully someone will notice all that Pablo Neruda on my Amazon wishlist (he counts as classic, right?) I'd like to read more of the Victorians, Dickens, Trollope, Thackery, Henry James. I've read quite a few classics since I have a degree in English Lit, but they never assign the Victorian novels as they're so long and would take up the entire semester. I also want to read more Nabokov and William Faulkner.

Did anyone else read "Reading Lolita in Tehran?" There were a few books that she discussed that I haven't read, and would like to.

Yes, there is a lot more poetry I want to read! For sure lots more Pablo Neruda! He is simply wonderful!

Ah, guess I should add the Chronicles of Narnia to my list :)

Trollope, however, is someone whose work I have no desire whatsoever to serialise. Over here, the BBC occasionally serialise some of his works (latest one was a radio adaptation of The Palacers, I believe), and that's been enough to put me off.

I think I should add some St. Thomas Aquinas and Aristotle's Politics and Nichomachean Ethics to my list.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH YES YES! You simply must read For Whom The Bell Tolls!!!!! It's wonderful :)

There now, you have the wabbits recommendation! What you are waiting for? :D

Thanks, Wabbit, I'll take that into consideration. I actually haven't read much Hem. at all. As for the waiting bit . . . so many books, so little time.

Dickens and Sir Walter Scott - I've picked up so many of their novels... started the books and found them sooooooo boringly written (not the story, the writing style!) that I have never completed a novel by either author :D

funes said:
Off the top of my head:
Wilkie Collins - The Moonstone
Hemingway - For Whom the Bell Tolls

I would say definately read For Whom the Bell Tolls, for it's descriptions alone it's worth the read. I had my favorite excerpt floating around the forum somewhere.... :confused:

Anyway, I'm interested to read The Once and Future King...I"m not sure if it's officially a classic or not, but it seems to hold that status with many. Hmm...read most of Hemingway , Dostoyevsky , and Tolstoy and loved them all, and would highly recommend any of these authors to those looking for a classic read.

Don Quixote, there's one I want to read that I've never gotten around to! I"ve had a few windmills talking smack lately, and need to learn how to give them a good ass or Phil whipping as we may call it. ;)

For some reason, the only Hemingway I've read is Old Man and the Sea, so more of him, definitely. Suggestions for what to read first?

I also would like to get through Count of Monte Cristo.

jamieh said:
For some reason, the only Hemingway I've read is Old Man and the Sea, so more of him, definitely. Suggestions for what to read first?

I also would like to get through Count of Monte Cristo.

If you mean his novels, then I would say For Whom the Bell Tolls since it seems to be pretty universally enjoyed.

My personal favorite is The Sun Also Rises , but it's a little more layered.

If you want to get more of a feel for him first, his short stories are a great place to start. I'm sure you'll enjoy whatever you choose, good luck! :)

The Sun Also Rises.

A Farewell to Arms can be a little irritating, but still worthwhile.

And the collected short stories are good.

jamieh said:

I would like to say, go this first: For Whom the Bell Tolls :D

I am trying his The Snows of Kilimanjaro.

novella said:
I think Hemingway is the classic misogynist.

in that case, hmm, it can explain nothing but his weakness.

just wanted to get an idea of what he was babbling, though. :p

Back