• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Classic literature

True@1stLight said:
You can't simply misinterpret things and then equate them to things that seem ridiculous. You assuming you know what is best for everyone or what is good vs. dumb televeision, literature, or otherwise is presumptuous. I"m not sure how you simply think you can pawn that off on thought ?

In any case, I apologized for being an ass to you, don't make it a futile gesture. The last line, although I'm sure you found yourself clever, was uncalled for.

Lighten up, True.

I don't know what I'm supposed to have misinterpreted and equated to things that seem ridiculous. I have never assumed to know what is best for everyone. I can make judgements of good vs. dumb in all sorts of things; everyone does that. Obviously, if it's me who's saying it, it's my opinion. There is nothing presumptuous in stating an opinion, and to preface everything you say with in my opinion is superfluous. That should be taken as read. You yourself referred earlier to "The fluff that is mass produced these days." That sounds like calling something dumb to me. But when you do it it is not presumptuous, but when I do it is? Am I excused in detecting a note of desparation here?

As to your final point, no hard feelings at all, but if you can't take the heat, stay out of the kitchen.

No , by fluff, I meant books that entertain without necessary educating. I do no take that to necessarily mean dumb, why should people feel obligated to turn away from what they enjoy? Presuming to know the answer to all value judgments is presumptuous, but regardless of semantics I"ve lost my interest. Honestly, I still say you either have a problem interpreting, or simply warp your argument into something it's not that makes it valid every time it is challenged.

*Insert cute phrase here*

~Happy Holidays Everyone, won't be around for a week or so.....enjoy the forthcoming free cheap shots Sun.

i think i will come around Poe and maybe some shakespeare or hemingway, but i will definitive get started with poe. i think he was awsome and great in his feeling for words.
bye

Yeah, poe is great and especially his poetry. If you like poetry then check them out. They are dark and delicious :)

Poe is definately a good choice, one of my all time favorites. I think I would like to give Of Human Bondage another go, since I never finished it. I'd like to read some Nabokov and Tolstoi also. Another option is to read some more Henry James, but I'm always open for suggestions... so if you have any, it's very much welcome.

I'd like to start Crime and Punishment again... I started reading it when I was 15 but got utterlyconfused who was who with all the damn russian names!!! I got confused, there was I thinking that there was one extra strange character and I got quite confuzled over him only to find he wasn't actually a different person and so there was I haveing split imagination. :\ I'm going to have to find a book with the names listed.

I'ld like to read Tom Jones again (Henry Fielding) as I read that when I was about 14 but it was very long and I very young, perhaps a bit too adventurous with my reading. Bloody good book... aw I wanna go read it now.

But on my list of books I haven't read yet or attempted to: War and Peace, Anna Karina, Lady Chattlery's Lover y D.H. Laurence, The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawes, Jayne Eyre by Charlotte Bronte, Wuthering Heights (although that doesn't really quite appeal to me) by Anne, anything which involves Pepys and maybe Great Expectations by Charles Dickens.

Finished War & peace and have Anna Karenina on my shelf so I'm going to read that sometime. Also have some Shakespeare and Great expectations so I think I have enough for a couple of week or months most likely.

link

There is a review about Resurrection at that link.

If you are interested in myown opinion, I would say--I liked that Katusha Maslova who after 10 years of prostitude life, still held that noble/good human's spirit in her. Aslo, she was pretty insightful/shrew/cool in pointing out Dimitri Nekhlydov's desire for salvation at her expense. Her refusal of being saved from being sent to Sebria, seemed to me, revealed her diginity and anger of a common individual---i mean, no one can be as holy as Jesus, anyway. What's made her unforgetable was that she forgave his suffering finally, because usually people wouldn't want to realse other's remorse. The message here that Tolstoy wanted to convey might be about being forgiving, which was sort of like Resurrection...

That's it for the moment.

I'd like to look further into Faulkner, after making the pretty bad mistake of starting my venture into his work with "The Sound and the Fury." Obviously brilliant, but hard going for a first-time-Faulkner reader.

Also keep meaning to read Poe, and Hemingway, but somehow never manage to get around to it.

L2

Classics are great although some of them are hard work.

I've got a list of classics I would like to read and every time I buy books I chose at least one classic.
I'm going to finish Emma by Jane Austen today (350 out of 450 pages and nothing exciting happend yet). Next are Richard III and King Lear by Shakespeare, Ariel by Sylvia Plath (my first encounter with poems) and The Prince by Niccolo Machiavelli (I'm really looking forward to this one).

classic literature always intimdates me... pretty much anything before the 1900s =P i have read childrens versions though

Back