• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Cold Mountain

I wonder if seeing a movie without reading the book influences people? For instance, those who saw the movie might have thought Nicole Kidman's performance was wooden, but in the book, it's made clear that Ada was stiff. On the other hand, it's rare for a movie to accurately reflect a book, I can't remember the last time a great book was turned into a great movie.

The move was ver controversial because it glossed over slavery. I think the criticism was unwarranted as it wasn't about the plight of slaves at all. I do agree that it wasn't the best movie ever made. I'm amazed that it won the awards that it did-especially given the predictability of the movie.

Miss Shelf said:
I wonder if seeing a movie without reading the book influences people?

Reading the book always seems to influence people, but I don't know about not reading the book. I'll have to think about this one.

Miss Shelf said:
..., I can't remember the last time a great book was turned into a great movie.

It doesn't happen often enough.

Miss Shelf said:
I can't remember the last time a great book was turned into a great movie.
LotR is a masterpiece. The defining cinematical benchmark of our generation(s).

But that's an other thread altogether.

there are die-hard LOTR fans who thought the movie didn't quite do justice to the books. Not having read them, I still think the movies did a terrific job of storytelling. and they deserve to be ranked up there with the greatest movies of all time.

Isn't that often the case? People that read the books want the movie to follow the book religiously. If it doesn’t, then what you hear is almost always “it didn’t do the movie justice.” I think the LOTR movies were great, especially the extended versions.

Miss Shelf said:
My understanding of "overrated" is that it means when something isn't that good but the majority of people who have read or watched something think it is good. Is that what you mean?
Yes. They blow its greatness out of proportion.

As for books to movies that were great, I'd say The Godfather, A Clockwork Orange, Fight Club, American Psycho, Dead Zone, Misery, LotR's and The Shining.

raffaellabella said:
What exactly is it about Cold Mountain that makes it a "chick flick"?

I would wager that it has sometheing to do with how they communicate through telepathic channels and how he drops everything to get to her. In real life, that is usually communicated directly through threats and a loud voice. :D

Probably it's labeled a chick flick because it's a story of two women becoming empowered, each in her own way.

That being said, what's so bad about a movie being a chick flick? We don't call mindless tripe like "Terminator 3" or any of those so-called action movies a dick flick, do we, even though that's what they are? :cool:

Miss Shelf said:
Probably it's labeled a chick flick because it's a story of two women becoming empowered, each in her own way.

That being said, what's so bad about a movie being a chick flick? We don't call mindless tripe like "Terminator 3" or any of those so-called action movies a dick flick, do we, even though that's what they are? :cool:

Shelf.
That is one great post!
I have two daughters, fully empowered, and I always have a negative reaction when someone uses the term chick flick. Among people I know personally, I have observed that they are chauvinistic in other areas of their lives also. (And please, everyone, note that the sentence excludes all members of this forum, since I don't know you personally and can't comment!)

I've also wondered what the male equivalent of a so-called chick flick would be, and I think you have nailed that answer perfectly. Dick flick sounds fine to me, at least until the guys lay off using chick fliick. Unless of course someone has a better suggestion. :D

One man's reaction,
Have a nice day, all :)
Peder

Peder said:
Shelf.
That is one great post!
I have two daughters, fully empowered, and I always have a negative reaction when someone uses the term chick flick. Among people I know personally, I have observed that they are chauvinistic in other areas of their lives also. (And please, everyone, note that the sentence excludes all members of this forum, since I don't know you personally and can't comment!)

I've also wondered what the male equivalent of a so-called chick flick would be, and I think you have nailed that answer perfectly. Dick flick sounds fine to me, at least until the guys lay off using chick fliick. Unless of course someone has a better suggestion. :D

One man's reaction,
Have a nice day, all :)
Peder

I like this man :) I also liked Cold Mountain (the movie, I've not read the book yet) it was not my favorite but it had some really good actors and it was a good story I thought.

Miss Shelf said:

Now, now. I like action action films as well as the tear-jerkers which is why I take offense when films are gender-labled. Thank goodness my husband doesn't have that mentality because we enjoy films from all genres.

Miss Shelf said:

Even if its a chick flick it dont mean its crap. But i think you realise that even in these days there are differences between the genders and movies tends to target a specific audience.

I wont mind at all if somone calls Terminator 3 a dick flick. There are plenty of crap dick flicks.

Oh, I like action films too-if they're good. I guess that makes me an equal-opportunity movie viewer, huh? ;)

What would we all agree is a pure "chick flick"? One that has few or no male characters? One where the male characters are portrayed in a negative light? How many guys on this forum have sat through all of "Steel Magnolias", for instance-not just opened their eyes whenever Julia Roberts was on screen? I couldn't sit through "Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood", because it was a jumbled mess and I had no sympathy for any of the characters. (I liked the book, btw)

How is it that guys who can sit through two or three hours of nonstop blood and gore and machine guns, squirm when they have to watch a movie where women are in the forefront? Is it because they're uncomfortable with any emotion they might feel? Men complain they don't understand women, you'd think they'd jump at the opportunity to glimpse some insight from chick flicks. :confused:

Chick flicks are generally any movie that women like and most men won't see (or admit seeing). Romance and many romantic comedies qualify as chick flicks.

Movies like Sleepless in Seattle, Sabrina , Pretty Woman, Gone with the Wind, When Harry Met Sally, and The Way We Were are all considered chick flicks.

okay then, what's a "date movie"? Gender-neutral? Animation? These days, I'm not sure what a date movie is.

Miss Shelf said:
okay then, what's a "date movie"? Gender-neutral? Animation? These days, I'm not sure what a date movie is.

I believe any movie that is considered tasteful by both parties is considered a date movie. For instance, a movie with a lot of violence or nudity may be considered a bad date movie because most women would consider them tasteless. Many chick-flicks are excellent date movies.

It sounds like guys only see chick flicks when they're on a date, or their wives or girlfriends have control of the remote. :D

Back