• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

college students

peyt

kickbox
I'm trying to find some stories (books) in which the main characters are college students.
Stories about their life: studying, relationship, love and friendship, problems etc.

Thank you for your attention.
Looking forward to hearing from you.

I Am Charlotte Simmons by Tom Wolfe. It's mostly about how a girl from North Carolina adjusts to life at an esteemed East Coast university but Wolfe also writes about some of the other students. Quite good if repetitive at times.

Try Yann Martel's The Facts Behind the Helsinki Roccamatios. It's a short story about the relationship between two college friends, one who's contracted AIDS, the other stories are worth a read too.

How about The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath? More about the difficulties a person faces surrounding the college age, but also has some bits directly relating to college experience. Prozac Nation by Elizabeth Wurtzel is along the same lines though only partly relevant...

Depending on your cup of tea, Prozac Nation, by Elizabeth Wurtzle is almost all time based during her(elizabeth Wurtzle) time spent at college. I can't remember which university it is though, some Ivy leaguer.

I will warn you though that it is an exceptionaly detailed account of depression, and therefore can invoke some of those feelings onto the reader...

Let me suggest you The Me Clone by Gene Keyes who lives in Novaya Scota. It's about a clone operation being gone on by two students or one, of Harvard University.

For a double, try The Rules of Attraction by Bret Easton Ellis and The Secret History by Donna Tartt. Those two go nicely together.

Ugh, I can't recommend against Prozac Nation enough.

Why is that? I thought that it was a pretty vivid account of depression, one which puts the readers through ups and downs(almost all downs here) realelistically. It addressess an important issue as well; the world of psychiatry and the trial and error techniques used with medication.

It was harder to read because of how dark it is, but an important book none the less.

I disliked it primarily because I dislike Elizabeth Wurtzel. I find her to be self-absorbed (the girl had what, three memoirs before she was how old? Thirty? Thirty five?). I also thought she portrayed depression in an irresponsible way and the field of psychology in an inaccurate manner. Not to mention I don't think she was a great writer, and I got really tired of her trying really hard to convince the reader that she is smart (a point I'm not convinced on).

If the book is to be read as a case study of a pretty seriously unstable person (depression and addiction don't seem to be her only problems), then that's fine. It's even great, since she spews her issues all over the book (most significantly in ways I don't think were intentional). However, I highly doubt that is the way the book is generally read, just as I doubt that was Wurtzel's intention.

I'm trying to find some stories (books) in which the main characters are college students.
Stories about their life: studying, relationship, love and friendship, problems etc.

Thank you for your attention.
Looking forward to hearing from you.

you wanna read about people studying?

The two books that come to mind are Prep, by Curtis Settenfield and Be True to Your School, by Bob Greene, but both are about high school students.

Prep is the story of a girl who goes away to boarding school, so it still has somewhat of a college like atmosphere.

Be True to Your School is about the author as a high school student growing up in the sixties in Columbus, Ohio. He kept a journal during one calendar year, so the end of his junior year to the beginning of his senior year. It's very nostalgic and a fun read.

Both books touch on the subjects you mentioned in your post.

Can't believe I forgot about The Rules of Attraction! It doesn't exactly have a spot on my favorite books of all time, but it's still a worthwhile read. I should also mention Loose Change, which is about three women who look back at their college experiences in the 1960's.

I found

I think you'd better to read "The Man Only Loving Numbers" by Paul Hoffman which I read it 17 times (seventeen! You heard correctly).

Hello.
Sorry to bother you again, but, maybe know more books.
Actually, the problem is with our library, so I have really PURE choice.
And, unfortunately, I haven't found any of these books there. ;(

Hello.
Sorry to bother you again, but, maybe know more books.
Actually, the problem is with our library, so I have really PURE choice.
And, unfortunately, I haven't found any of these books there. ;(
Try For Kings and Planets by Ethan Canin; tale of friendship developed by university students at NY Columbia.
Bart.

Back