• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Coming Soon to a Theatre Near You!

Back on topic . . .

I am looking forward to Sideways, a nice movie about relationships and wine, and Closer, a daring one from Mike Nichols starring Julia Roberts (in a very unsympathetic role), Clive Owen, Natalie Portman, and Jude Law.

Martin said:
I'm just gonna ask a silly, way off-topic question - did you enjoy The Incredibles?

Cheers

I managed to stay awake through it (barely), but my 8-year-old loved it, which was the point of the exercise.

A Mom's gotta do, what a Mom's gotta do.

Irene Wilde

It means, I still don't feel the need to see Star Wars. There's a lot of films I've never seen - you'd be appalled.

Freya said:
Walt Disney is the root of all evil. Discuss.

I've still never seen a Star Wars film.

Wow, Freya, we must be related from another planet. How did this thread get all the way to here without my input?

Walt Disney Company should be shot for what they did to Pooh, just for starters. Peter Pan is another abortion. Just about anything they've gotten their pink plastic mittens on has been permanently tainted. I feel just plain sorry for people whose experience of Mary Poppins, Pooh, Merlin, etc. is the Disyneyfied crapfest version.

Plus, WD himself was a fascist. Plus he was a racist, sexist pig control freak. He was one of the first to go before the House UnAmerican Activities Committee and rat out a bunch of artists.

Don't even get me started on the "modern" Disney company and their "mission." I abhor the Disney aesthetic, their "family values" hypocrisy, and their incessant marketing to toddlers, among other things.

BTW, I've never seen any of the Star Wars movies, E.T., Forrest Gump, and a whole load of other polystyrene tear-jerker pablum movies that are supposed to be great. There is a certain flavor of popularity that, to me, is the kiss of death.

So I'll be your friend forever and you can give me all your money and nice stuff!

novella said:
Walt Disney Company should be shot for what they did to Pooh, just for starters. Peter Pan is another abortion. Just about anything they've gotten their pink plastic mittens on has been permanently tainted. I feel just plain sorry for people whose experience of Mary Poppins, Pooh, Merlin, etc. is the Disyneyfied crapfest version.
I was shocked when I read The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo and there was no Happy End!!! I was so brainwashed by this freaky Disney-version that I expected the plot in the book to be like the movie. :mad:
How can these twisted morons take excellent literature and massacre it like this? They pack it full with stereotypes and happy little botox-injected barbie dolls and show it to little kids. Evil scum! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Re. 'The Incredibles':

Irene Wilde said:
I managed to stay awake through it (barely), but my 8-year-old loved it

I thought it was a superb movie! One of the most ENJOYABLE I've seen all year!

Does this mean I'm 8-years-old-esque?

Oh look! A worm...

Ou Be Low hoo said:
Re. 'The Incredibles':

I thought it was a superb movie! One of the most ENJOYABLE I've seen all year!

Does this mean I'm 8-years-old-esque?

Oh look! A worm...

No, it means you enjoy predictable, cliche-ridden, unoriginal, plodding, uninspired, sit-com humor brought to the big screen via computer-generated animation.

Irene Wilde

Irene Wilde said:
No, it means you enjoy predictable, cliche-ridden, unoriginal, plodding, uninspired, sit-com humor brought to the big screen via computer-generated animation.

That's so weird. I actually detest anything resembling the above! So either you are wrong or I have some rather non-oxymoronic oxymoronic tastes...

I'm betting my bottom dollar on the former...

Ooo...I just thought of another option...Maybe you're using sarcasm as a form of wit beyond the bounds of regular comprehension...

Gizmo said:
How can these twisted morons take excellent literature and massacre it like this? They pack it full with stereotypes and happy little botox-injected barbie dolls and show it to little kids. Evil scum! :mad: :mad: :mad:

It happens all the time. ;)

I'd just like to say that I've never seen a Star Wars Movie either. Or ET. But I have seen Forest Gump (preferred the book but even that was nothing special).
Re The Hunchback Of Notre Dame: the opening pages of that book are so atmospheric, how could they turn it into a song and dance routine?
But I can't hate Disney totally. They gave me The Wicked Queen (Snow White), The Blue Fairy (Pinnocchio) and Tinker Belle (Peter Pan); the earliest love objects in my life. Even sexier than Betty Rubble!

Back