• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Confession - long.

third man girl

Confession. The last couple of days have been scary. With the exception of the silly poem about Martin’s ol’ blue eyes, (hurriedly invented in the shower (alone!)), I have only written four poems in my life (all while camped out in “Bryan’s” head.) You guys have now read three of them.

I didn’t just write them. I wrote them, re-wrote them, mashed them around, hated them, loved them, squirmed over them, and re-re-wrote them.

It took two days of fretting before I decided to post them (they were written last year, but the fretting took place only once I’d considered revealing them).

I shrivel under criticism, although I appreciate it is necessary.

To answer Ashlea, who wrote, “You know what would be interesting? The poem from the woman's point of view, as we have no indication from her in this one.” Well:

I can’t build up the energy to write from a woman’s viewpoint. As a female, I find it more interesting to get into the heads of male characters. I do wonder if this limits my ability to write, as, obviously, I can’t know what it is like to have a male mind. But, in the real world, I find women just as puzzling as men. In the end, we all share emotions, and emotions are what I write about – and are more important, I would say, than the story.

To answer piedro, who wrote, “but I am afraid I am totally confused about your story!” And the Wabbit, who wrote, “So... When are we going to get a story?” Well:

It’s a long story; it’s been throbbing in my head for a long time. I wake with my characters, drive with them, take them to work, bring them home, play with them, drift off to sleep with them. I have too many main characters, can’t bear to part with them and, in any case, it’s a gang story. A gang by definition includes several men. I’ve read that a few of you hate trilogies, well, this is a two-dozen-ilogy (I guess there might be a Latin word for that :( ) My way around it, is to write about each character as an individual and have them join forces along the way, just as it happened . . .

Again, to answer Ashlea, “Have you read any Robert Browning? He was the master of inhabiting a character and writing through their eyes. Fortunately, your characters don't seem to be insane, which makes it easier to be in their heads, I imagine.” Well:

No, I haven’t read RB. I’ve read hardly any poetry but, thanks for the pointer, I’ll give him a try. As for the ‘insane character’, that made me smile :) The leader of my gang is a shred crazy, so I’ve deliberately stayed out of his head. I’ll leave it to the other gang members in the book to describe him. I love him the most (aww!), and I don’t want to spoil him.

Which brings me back to Bryan. It’s no great secret that he becomes (following appalling cruelty, but also some serious preening ;) ) a gang member himself. I’ll post you his/my final poem, to let you read. It’s called “The Leader”

Third Man Girl

All I can say is thank you very much for sharing your poems. I have enjoyed reading them a lot and please keep writing! :)

Regards
SillyWabbit

Confession. The last couple of days have been scary. With the exception of the silly poem about Martin’s ol’ blue eyes, (hurriedly invented in the shower (alone!)), I have only written four poems in my life (all while camped out in “Bryan’s” head.) You guys have now read three of them.
I feel privileged that you trusted these to our forum. It is scary to first share your 'babies' with the world. The fact that you've only ever written 4 poems makes them even more breathtaking. I can't wait to read more of what you have to offer!

Ell :)

Definitely a born writer - living with your characters that way. I feel sorry for the guy who wrote Silence of the Lambs, those books took 10 years to write and he had to have Hannibal with him all that time.

You should read more poetry, especially as one of your characters is a poet. Poetry teaches you to use language in new ways. Unfortunately, literature classes haven't figured out how to teach poetry in a way that makes people like it.

I think it's interesting that you don't feel much like writing about women. I don't have many women friends, but even so I recognize that my thought patterns are completely feminine. I don't think I could create a 100% convincing, complete male character. It's a problem.

I haven't written poetry since my college poetry class, but I may take you up on your challenge. :)

Well it's pretty obvious to eveyone that you've got what it takes. Take your time and do it YOUR way. Believe in yourself but keep that doubting edge. You know what those people inside you have to say, just make them all wait their turn in line and let them say it.
As for writing from a male perspective, PM me some time if you'd like my thoughts....and if you don't, that's okay too.
Anyway, choose a place to write that is as stimulating as your thoughts and let it all out.
And let me add my thanks to you for taking a giant step. Catch your breath and keep on walking!

Bill

RaVeN said:
just make them all wait their turn in line

I really don't have that much control over my boys ;) ;)

Seriously:

Doubting edge? I have a ‘belief’ edge. Ninety-nine percent is pure doubt. I don’t hide in corners at parties; you’ll find me in the attic. :(

Thanks for the comments: (I love, ‘Catch your breath and keep on walking’. Inspiring.)

BTW, I’m not too computer-literate. :eek: Piedro mentioned the PM thingie too. Didn’t know how to turn myself on (ahem). Plus, in my line of work, if I PMed you, I’d 'post mortem' you. Didn’t think you’d fancy that?

Thanks for the offer to come inside your male mind. I may be tempted sometime . . . :)

Third Man Girl

I'll be short because everything has been said.

You're talented, very, very talented. I'm not claiming to know anything about poetry, but your poems really appeal to me.

They really do.

Cheers, Martin :D

Ashlea said:
living with your characters that way.

Hey, you should try it. I even have one who holds my hand at the dentist :eek:

As for reading poetry, I’m embarrassed to say it takes me sooo-oo long to even read books. I’m still working through ‘Possession’ (with its poetry), and ‘20 Bullfighters meet 29 Fishermen in a Bar in Madrid’ (Hemmingway – being read on the advice of SillyWabbit :D )

As for your thought patterns being completely feminine, well, I don’t struggle so much with the thought patterns of my characters, more the consequences of actions. To use an example, I’ve never been in a ‘fisticuff’ fight, so I can only guess at degrees of pain versus fear versus adrenaline rush, etc. Anyway, I suppose all guys are different; they just pretend they’re all the same. ;)

Third Man Girl

i second what martin just said
i dont really understand poetry. i cant decipher the meanings in them. i just see if they appeal to me or not and most of yours did.

as a matter of fact even i have something to say. you said it took you ages to decide whether to post them or not. now , even i plan to be a writer of sorts. i have written a story a couple of years back and i feel the urge to share it with you. but i hesitate. at least your poems were good. my story was written by a teenager wanting to create sensation and so it is a bit stupid. my friends liked it though but i am afraid , on a forum of critics what will happen???

piedro said:
i have written a story a couple of years back and i feel the urge to share it with you. but i hesitate. . . . on a forum of critics what will happen???

I think they'll be kind to you as they were to me. If they dislike it, they will probably just ignore it. I am the last person who should give advice, but I will anyway. Write for yourself. 'You' are who matters.

Just for you, piedro, I risked life, limb and job to sneak into the staff room, wearing the taboo contaminated white-coat :eek: , grabbed my Hemingway :eek: , and riffled through the pages (in the Ladies' toilets :eek:), until I found a quote which had inspired me. :)

"Now he would never write the things that he had saved to write until he knew enough to write them well." – The Snows of Kilimanjaro

I think there's a message in there ;)

Third Man Girl

Back